fremen_warrior's avatar

Pastafarians how has FSM proved His existance to you in your life?

Asked by fremen_warrior (5461 points ) January 25th, 2013

Many Pastafarians on fluther, including myself, seem to be feeling oppressed at the lack of other vocal Pastafarians willing to discuss their religious views.

This is a question specifically for you to express your proof of, or love of the Flying Spaghetti Monster, to other believers regardless of denomination freely and openly. Peace be with you.

(@KNOWITALL inspired me to ask you this, with her question regarding the Christian diety. May His Noodly Appendage touch you!)

Shippy's avatar

Hey! you dropped you pacifier on the way into this thread. You want it back?

Imitation is the best form of flattery, this makes twice today. :)

Even though I know sarcasm is implied in both of the imitations, I’m proud that so many people find it necessary to combat God with their wit this way.

TheProfoundPorcupine's avatar

Can we swap the person that posted this question for the flying spaghetti monster? Seems like a bargain.

Blackberry's avatar

There should be a comma after the word Pastafarians. You need to seek the wisdom of Her noodly appendage. Lol.

flutherother's avatar

Why are ye fearful, O ye of little faith?

cazzie's avatar

Interesting how some think we are combating their made up deity. How can we combat something we don’t believe in. That sounds like Alice in Wonderland, having another cup of tea at the Mad Hatter’s tea party, when she hasn’t had one yet?

No… we are not combating your deity, @KNOWITALL, we are making fun of the fact that you believe in a manifestation that gives you a warm fuzzy feeling in your pre-frontal cortex.

It is much easier for me now to take a dump, though I have to wear a diaper now.

snowberry's avatar

@cazzie You’re making fun of it, but you’re doing it in a “logical” way, and you’re having fun doing it, so it’s “OK”. Yes, that’s funny!

cazzie's avatar

Well, @snowberry , if I was looking for permission or platitudes, I would say ‘Thank you’ but seeing as how your opinion on this topic is meaningless to me, I will leave it at that. I don’t care that you think is it OK or funny.

Also, notice, that @fremen_warrior is not deleting opposing viewpoint posts, unlike the other question. http://www.jesusandmo.net/strips/2006-10-11.jpg

SavoirFaire's avatar

@KNOWITALL I’m sorry, but this is in General for a reason, the reason being we are being oppressed and abused on Fluther. Unfortunately, I had to flag your post as off-topic. ~

Shippy's avatar

@cazzie I feel like making fun of you because you sound like an idiot

@SavoirFaire It’s all good, I almost flagged the question as soon as it was posted, but you know, I’m a live and let live kind of gal believe it or not. ;)

Just so you know, I don’t want to turn this into an atheist versus christian war like you guys seem to want to, it’s just really unnecessary to be ugly to each other for any reason.

SavoirFaire's avatar

@KNOWITALL Notice the tilde. Also, I am not an atheist. If I find your question worthy of mockery—and I do—it is because it is based on an absurd notion that being disagreed with makes you oppressed and abused. You show disrespect for the very real oppression and abuse that various peoples, including early Christians, underwent by pretending your situation is in any way comparable.

cazzie's avatar

Gosh,.,,, I have just been called an idiot. I feel so bullied and oppressed for expressing my views.

TheProfoundPorcupine's avatar

@cazzie I’m intrigued as to why you feel the need to make fun of others due to what they believe? Who are we to judge what others do or do not believe?

cazzie's avatar

I am NOT making fun of others. Quite the contrary. Right now, I feel like I am being picked on for expressing my views and beliefs. Oh, sweet, FSM, save me.

Shippy's avatar

@cazzie What view was expressed? That you like making fun of people? Wow! some view, like I said, you make me feel the same way about you. Since there was no view. It was just an insult. Insults are easy. Decorum and grace, take intelligence.

And also by the way I personally couldn’t give a fathers fart what you think! Much like you don’t care what anyone else thinks. I feel like I’m in a play pen with four year olds.

TheProfoundPorcupine's avatar

“we are making fun of the fact that you believe in a manifestation that gives you a warm fuzzy feeling in your pre-frontal cortex.” You are making fun of what others believe as those were your very own words, so surely that means that if you make fun of what somebody believes, then you are making fun of them as well?

WillWorkForChocolate's avatar

@Shippy That’s because on questions like these, you are in a playpen with four year olds. Some of these people are just never going to grow the fuck up. They’re bullies, even if they refuse to admit it.

Shippy's avatar

@WillWorkForChocolate I know! Lemme have fun with them ha ha. Until I’m bored and move on. I can quite a bully too, when I regress to age five.

cazzie's avatar

Look, how about we write what you have written here, under @KNOWITALL ‘s question? Starting with something along the lines of ‘Combating logic’ ....

YES, This question is making fun of the entire concept, but you KNEW that before you even read my posts and decided to answer. You came here looking for an argument. I left the other question alone and not only that, I would be flagged, I am sure. The mere fact that your comments and name calling of me are here shows people more about you and your tolerance and hypocrisy. We were so obviously baiting this entire conversation and you all fell for it. Shame shame.

Shippy's avatar

@cazzie I really hate to speak on @KNOWITALL s behalf but I reckon if she did want that, she would choose someone with a pre frontal cortex.

cazzie's avatar

@fremen_warrior , is this what you were after? Happy to help.

@cazzie Sorry, I dont recall addressing any posts to you today at all, am I missing something?

@SavoirFaire Here in America we have a little thing called Freedom of Speech we take seriously. This wasn’t about religion to me at first, it was about other people getting mocked while I watched for months. I just decided to hit it head on, because I’m an Ameican, that’s how we roll baby. Jesus can use me as His tool any way he see’s fit, I’m up for it.

boffin's avatar

After we explore FSM. Let’s move to Dudeism…

http://dudeism.com/

DigitalBlue's avatar

I don’t even know where to start.
I do agree with the comment in the other thread, about being outnumbered not being the same as being oppressed. I have said it before, and I often feel that what I believe is what is offensive to many believers, and that was verified again today.

I, personally, find it to be refreshing when I find places online – like Fluther – where you have a lot of open atheists. I find it to be very difficult, if not nearly impossible, to be openly atheist in my day to day life, so it’s sometimes nice to let my hair down.

However, this…. no, I don’t see how this is constructive. I don’t see who benefits from this, I’m not sure how this is helping in any way. I am really not respectful of religion, I don’t feel a drive to do that, but there’s a difference between not respecting someone’s religion and not respecting them. I think that @KNOWITALL asked a fair question. I don’t think that Fluther, in general, tends to be very nice to believers, and neither do I. I’m not going to coddle anyone. I’m not one to go out of my way to make sure that I don’t offend anyone, but I also don’t try to go out of my way to offend people, either.

I’m not really sure why I’m spending all of this time gathering my thoughts and trying to actually respond to this, since I’m sure this question will get yanked based on the discussion above… but, too late, I typed it.

nofurbelowsbatgirl's avatar

Err, do I detect a debate about what is or is not real?

My ideas are different from your ideas so if I choose to believe in unicorns or not to believe in unicorns, FSM, or even God, what business is it of anyone?

If I am asked I will express my views and because I’m truthful I will be just that.

If you want to rag on me because of my views and then try to take away my free will to think as I please you might as well be modern day stoning me without the stones.

GO AHEAD! Place us up in the middle of the square and burn us because we are like “witches” because we believe in God, or more affectionately known here on flutter in modern day times as the “Flying Spaghetti Monster”.

BTW, ”Outnumbered?” Go back to some of those threads and see the curve adding up for the non believers before the ones who believe in God.

Shippy's avatar

@nofurbelowsbatgirl They are taking the “piss” so to speak. You need not defend anything on this thread. Look at the title for starters. But I don’t mind a bit of taking the piss, what goes around comes around right.

I could suggest splitting the none believers and believers. But then then there would be no questions, since a large majority are bashing believers. So some would be

Like um… like what should I ask now?? Twirling hair in between fingers. And I did say some not all.

TheProfoundPorcupine's avatar

Ah yes the old…I’ve run out of things to say so I will claim it was a fishing trip routine.

The fact is that humans have been taking comfort in a whole host of beliefs for a very long time and we will continue to do so. Were the parents of the child that was laid on a swans wing at Vedbaek some 7000 years ago being silly or did it bring them some comfort? Were the Egyptians just being a bit thick with the whole mummification thing or did it bring them some comfort? Or perhaps the early Neolithic people in the north of Scotland who laid their dead in stone cairns in the foetal position and painted the inside of the cairn red?

We tend to look at those kinds of things with intrigue and not ridicule so what is the difference between those examples and Jews, Christians, Muslims or whoever else?

cazzie's avatar

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flying_Spaghetti_Monster

Count the personal attacks on this thread and then go count the number of personal and otherwise cutting remarks and bullying on the other thread. Go ahead.