flo's avatar

What is the verdict about smart meters?

Asked by flo (7527 points ) September 19th, 2013

What is the latest most reliable news about it?
Here is one article
I wish I had details but I don’t.

I assume you mean the digital electric meters.

NO difference. They installed a new one here at my house about a year ago. Year to year readings are just about the same. No appreciable change, accounting for weather and such.

The one disappointment is that my power company hasn’t made available the cool stuff they promised—time of day measurements, for example.

drhat77's avatar

I can’t imagine the amount of EM radiation sent out is more than the WiFi and cell signals we’ve allowed in our lives. I hope someone who knows more about this weighs in

snowberry's avatar

I had a client who was allergic to all sorts of things, including electrical fields. Her symptoms were severe enough that she couldn’t be in a room with a running microwave. Her telephone was at an end of the house she did not spend a lot of time in, and she used the speaker function a lot when she did. She only used lights when absolutely necessary, and she only used a cell phone for emergencies, etc. This device wouldn’t fly at her house.

jerv's avatar

My take is that many of the people who have health concerns about them are unfit for life in 21st-century America in much the same way that fish are unfit to live outside of water. I wouldn’t euthanize them, but for the sake of our species, I wouldn’t want them passing on their genes either.

As for the privacy concerns, it’d be easier to be a stalker to determine your daily schedule than to hack your power meter.

The increased vulnerability to cyber-attack shutting down our power… well, some truth there, but it’s still easier to blow up a substation.

Pooh54's avatar

I really don’t know anything about them but if they can save me money and maybe help my health, I am all for them.

bolwerk's avatar

Barring really outlandish exceptions like @snowberry mentions, this is controversial? Yes, the meters probably might allow some really vague inferences about your habits. It’s a safe bet you’re neither interesting enough nor important enough to be the victim of a hax0r wanting to know what time you turn on your TV.

jerv's avatar

Correct. It’s no more information and probably less than could be gathered by a cheap surveillance cam or just sitting near your house for a while.

dabbler's avatar

Unless you’re trying to figure out if someone’s running a grow-op, knowing their power consumption is plenty boring. Not sure why anyone would bother to snoop power meters.

One thing for sure is that they are putting meter readers out of work.
In some cases that means the meter readers are out of danger (dog bites).

dabbler's avatar

Also I’d have to insist that the new meter allows the customer to get a raw reading off it just as you can off the old-fashioned spinning-wheel/turning-number-dials meter.
Or at least some local digital access… bluetooth or wifi.