Do you take a book or your tablet/smartphone/laptop with you?

Asked by elbanditoroso (15307 points ) 2 months ago

When you’re going to the commode for an extended period of time, what format do you use for reading matter?

Some people bring in magazines. I usually bring in a book with me. But with the availability of lightweight (7 or 8 inch) tablets, that may be a better alternative – although they are more vulnerable to dropping and possible water damage.

I know at least one person (personally) who read a book on her smartphone and proceeded to drop it (accidentally, of course) in the bowl. That doesn’t seem like a great idea.

What format do you use?

Pachy's avatar

My porcelain library is well stocked with magazines and crossword puzzles.

Seaofclouds's avatar

I only take something in with me if I was already reading it before I go in.

Adirondackwannabe's avatar

How long is an extended period of time? If I’m taking a crap I do it as fast as I can. I don’t like smelling me.

@Pachy – you bring up a good point. My daughter stocks her bathrooms with frivolous magazines like People and Glamour. Not my reading taste at all. I have suggested that she bring in something more serious and interesting but she has not been moved to do so.

Pachy's avatar

@elbanditoroso, the magazines that move me when I’m, er, moving are Time, New York, and Atlantic. I also occasionally bring along my Kindle e-reader.

GloPro's avatar

I’m not one to hang out on the pot. I don’t have time to read anything. I just sit there and count back from 99.

I keep a Games Magazine in there. I work on the Cryptic Crosswords.

anniereborn's avatar

Nothing. I’m usually quick :P

In the morning I take in a section of the newspaper. And I will take a book, unless I am in the middle of something on my phone when I get the urge.

rojo's avatar

Whatever I have in my hand when the urge strikes me.

When I built the house I added a bookshelf into the toilet room in the master bath. My wife refers to it as the “Upstairs Library”.

Yetanotheruser's avatar

Sometimes I even “Fluther” on the john!

rojo's avatar

^^^ eeewwwuuu!

Yetanotheruser's avatar

Sorry! TMI?

@Yetanotheruser – that’s a depressing thought

rojo's avatar

NSFW!

Earthbound_Misfit's avatar

@Yetanotheruser, you are so full of….

I don’t hang around in there but I like reading so I usually take my Kindle in there. I take my phone in there sometimes and read the news. There’s also usually a book or two in there to read if I feel inclined.

Yetanotheruser's avatar

@Earthbound_misfit :
you are so full of…

Full of what? Oh, I know! Wisdom!