General Question

Magnus's avatar

Do you like licking batteries?

Asked by Magnus (2857 points ) August 18th, 2008

I certainly do… tastes weird! And when I say licking, I mean licking both poles so you get electrocuted. Works best with 9volts or 12volts, 9 being my personal favorite!

Do not experiment with car-batteries and tongues.

Observing members: 0 Composing members: 0

29 Answers

poofandmook's avatar

no, I have more than 2 brain cells.

syz's avatar

Dude!!

Mr_M's avatar

Some people get a CHARGE out of it!

robmandu's avatar

Similar to biting aluminum foil with metal-filling’d teeth?

trudacia's avatar

Sounds kind of boring…. I can think of better things to do with my tongue.
Did you ever actually get electrocuted?

IchtheosaurusRex's avatar

You’ve never tasted a 48? Like fine wine.

heysupnm's avatar

I bet Voltaire loved to lick batteries.
Did you ever get charged with reckless behavior?
Does it spark your imagination?
Have you ever thought about the negative outcomes?
Are you positive this is safe?
Yes I agree car batteries are dangerous. You have to draw the alkaline somewhere!

wilhel1812's avatar

nah, but i like licking my mac power adapter

wundayatta's avatar

There once was a man from Belize
Whose love was to lick batteries.
one day in his yard
his lick was too hard
So his body is now in the freeze!

jcs007's avatar

No. I don’t like going to the ER.

Magnus's avatar

Christ, you don’t get hurt from it, just a little dizzy and a headache. Not to speak about your tastebuds dying.

La_chica_gomela's avatar

Wait so, what you’re saying is you enjoy headaches?

bodyhead's avatar

Licking 9-volts is fine. I do it all the time to see which battery in my toolbox still holds a charge (for smoke detectors, multimeter, small radios, etc).

In fact, in standard American homes the standard 110 volt wiring isn’t enough to electrocute you. A healthy person will not die from grabbing a loose wire and completing a circuit. You’ll get shocked but it’s nothing that you can’t pull back from.

And compared to 110 volt, a nine volt battery holds a measly 8% voltage in comparison. You could lick them all day long and be fine. Drinking a hot cup of coffee kills more taste buds.

trudacia's avatar

Yeah, but it’s kinda weird that someone would do it for fun…

bodyhead's avatar

It’s better then drinking paint or huffing gas. We’re all just looking for a thrill to carry us through the day one more time.

wilhel1812's avatar

i smell S&M

loser's avatar

S&M for sure…

argaudette's avatar

All you get is a little shock. I’ve done it before with 9V and 6V. And actually, licking a car battery wouldn’t hurt you. Car batteries are generally 12V.

loser's avatar

Oh, that makes it MUCH better…

robmandu's avatar

Voltage isn’t as important a factor as current. A consumer-grade taser puts out 50,000 volts after all.

And household current is apparently capable of delivering lethal electric shock (although I’ve never experienced ill effect beyond feeling that j-j-j-j-jumpiness in doing household maintenance).

Oh, and I’d be careful playing around with car batteries. They’re capable of pushing large amperages to support the starter motor in your engine.

Poser's avatar

Re: Car batteries—Not to mention exploding.

Magnus's avatar

Exactly bodyhead, I was changing the smoke detector battery when i found an open 9volt, then I licked it to see if it had juice. It had so I continued to lick it.

ACTORDAVIDTRAN's avatar

Ew, with all that crap in the engine compartment, who knows what I’d be licking that’s settled on the car battery. Just road and tire dust particulate sludge alone is enough to make me steer clear of it.

bodyhead's avatar

I don’t think anyone here would lick a 12 volt battery (car battery). That’s crazy, actordavidtran. We’re talking about 9 volt batteries.

poofandmook's avatar

I love how bodyhead posts that we’re talking about licking 9 volts as opposed to 12 volts, as if it’s so much more logical.

bodyhead's avatar

Point taken, poofandmook.

20west's avatar

Magnus, how often do you lick them?

scci's avatar

To those who say “its not the voltage that would kill you, its the current”

A 9 volt battery, like a car battery, does have the potential to output enough current to kill you easily. But why doesn’t it? It is because your body, and mouth, do not draw enough current to kill you. This is because current is equivalent to voltage, current = voltage / resistance. Say the amount of tongue in-between the anode and cathode of a 9v was 1800 ohms ( its probably somewhere near that). That would be 9v/1800=.005. Or 5 miliohms, within the range of pain but without killing you. Now lets do it with a 12v battery. 12V/1800= .006. That would feel almost exactly like licking a 9v battery. Yes a car battery can output hundreds of amps, but it wont. A 9v battery can output a couple hundred milliamps, more than enough to kill you. But why doesn’t a taser kill you? Well yes a taser can output huge amounts of voltage, but it wont because the current just isn’t there to begin with. Spread this info so that others will know and to treat real hazards like hazards

Answer this question

Login

or

Join

to answer.

This question is in the General Section. Responses must be helpful and on-topic.

Your answer will be saved while you login or join.

Have a question? Ask Fluther!

What do you know more about?
or
Knowledge Networking @ Fluther