Allie's avatar

Are there any brown-eyed cats?

Asked by Allie (17366 points ) April 2nd, 2009

I saw a website of macro photos of cat eyes. They ranged from yellow to orange to blue to green. I got to talking about it with my mom and we both wondered if cats do (or can) have unmistakably brown eyes.

LaurenLauren's avatar

i have yet to see one.
bu tthat would be very unique and cool to see one.
you usually only see blue, green, and sometimes yellow eyes.

teirem1's avatar

Here’s a page with a cute brown-eyed kitty link.

crisw's avatar

Here’s an interesting article on the subject. I’ve never seen a brown-eyed cat; only dark amber and copper colors.

LaurenLauren's avatar

wow! that cat is beautiful! its really cool to see one!

crisw's avatar

@LaurenLauren

I think most of the color in that picture is reflected flash in an amber-eyed cat.

LaurenLauren's avatar

@crisw

oh i see it now that i look more closely…even the pupils have a “brownish” tint.
it is really cool to see a cat even with amber eyes, i had only seen the traditional eye colors for them.
the article that you posted is very informative, i like it alot.

teirem1's avatar

I think copper or bronze is probably the closest you get to brown eyes on cats – quality of light lending to the eye color effect. Persians often have copper colored eyes. Oh, another kitty pic Link.

Also, look at pictures of Asian Leopard cats – those eyes are bronze/brown. Link.

NaturalMineralWater's avatar

Almost every cat has a brown eye.

Darwin's avatar

We have one cat who is a very pale orange and who has dark amber eyes – the contrast makes him look as if he has brown eyes, particularly in photos. However, he actually doesn’t.

casheroo's avatar

hmm, i never thought about this. i guess i’ve never seen one.

Mr_M's avatar

MY cat has brown eyes.

ZombieMom's avatar

I have a cat who has brown eyes. They are not amber. They are a medium brown. She is a semi-long hair, black with medium gray trim on her tail and rear legs. I named her Zombie, because she looked so different. Her mother is a black long hair with yellow eyes and all possibiltes of the father have yellow or light green eyes. I have never seen a cat with brown eyes except her. I would love to know how this is possible and how rare it really is. She is also very intelligent.

tcreel's avatar

I have a cat with chocolate brown eyes. She is solid black and also a polydactal with 26 toes, eight on each front paw and 5 on each back paw. I found her under my van one morning she was about 5 weeks old. I found her around Halloween so we named her Spooky.

brookNYCDE's avatar

I have a couple cats with brown eyesss(:

Lianimal's avatar

I have one with brown eyes. I had never seen one before him either., which is how I came to be Googling and landed here lol

Schmerika95's avatar

I’ve had 3 cats with brown eyes. All of them were stray kittens, 2 from the same litter one short hair completely black, and the other a tortise shell. The third was white and orange patched with long hair.