General Question

Are there any brown-eyed cats?

Asked by Allie (17366 points ) April 2nd, 2009

I saw a website of macro photos of cat eyes. They ranged from yellow to orange to blue to green. I got to talking about it with my mom and we both wondered if cats do (or can) have unmistakably brown eyes.

Observing members: 0 Composing members: 0

16 Answers

i have yet to see one.
bu tthat would be very unique and cool to see one.
you usually only see blue, green, and sometimes yellow eyes.

Here’s a page with a cute brown-eyed kitty link.

Here’s an interesting article on the subject. I’ve never seen a brown-eyed cat; only dark amber and copper colors.

wow! that cat is beautiful! its really cool to see one!

@LaurenLauren

I think most of the color in that picture is reflected flash in an amber-eyed cat.

@crisw

oh i see it now that i look more closely…even the pupils have a “brownish” tint.
it is really cool to see a cat even with amber eyes, i had only seen the traditional eye colors for them.
the article that you posted is very informative, i like it alot.

I think copper or bronze is probably the closest you get to brown eyes on cats – quality of light lending to the eye color effect. Persians often have copper colored eyes. Oh, another kitty pic Link.

Also, look at pictures of Asian Leopard cats – those eyes are bronze/brown. Link.

Almost every cat has a brown eye.

We have one cat who is a very pale orange and who has dark amber eyes – the contrast makes him look as if he has brown eyes, particularly in photos. However, he actually doesn’t.

hmm, i never thought about this. i guess i’ve never seen one.

MY cat has brown eyes.

I have a cat who has brown eyes. They are not amber. They are a medium brown. She is a semi-long hair, black with medium gray trim on her tail and rear legs. I named her Zombie, because she looked so different. Her mother is a black long hair with yellow eyes and all possibiltes of the father have yellow or light green eyes. I have never seen a cat with brown eyes except her. I would love to know how this is possible and how rare it really is. She is also very intelligent.

I have a cat with chocolate brown eyes. She is solid black and also a polydactal with 26 toes, eight on each front paw and 5 on each back paw. I found her under my van one morning she was about 5 weeks old. I found her around Halloween so we named her Spooky.

I have a couple cats with brown eyesss(:

I have one with brown eyes. I had never seen one before him either., which is how I came to be Googling and landed here lol

I’ve had 3 cats with brown eyes. All of them were stray kittens, 2 from the same litter one short hair completely black, and the other a tortise shell. The third was white and orange patched with long hair.

Answer this question

Login

or

Join

to answer.

This question is in the General Section. Responses must be helpful and on-topic.

Your answer will be saved while you login or join.

Have a question? Ask Fluther!

What do you know more about?
or
Knowledge Networking @ Fluther