General Question

Ten4's avatar

Who would I address this petition to?

Asked by Ten4 (8points) April 6th, 2011

I want to get a petition started that aims to increase funding to public schools for music education. I am in the D.C. area. To my knowledge, D.C. only has a Delegate to Congress who is unable to vote. So, it seems like it wouldn’t make much sense to address the petition to her.

Should I try writing to a congressman in Maryland or Virginia?
Is there someone else that I haven’t considered?

Observing members: 0 Composing members: 0

6 Answers

TexasDude's avatar

Your best bet would be to start locally: with your congress critters.

YoBob's avatar

You send it to whichever congress critter depends on your vote for re-election.

bkcunningham's avatar

Are you looking for extra funding for one particular school or the entire DC public school system?

bkcunningham's avatar

DC has Local School Advisory Teams. The LSAT is “a group of elected and appointed members that exists for every DCPS school. The team (formerly the Local School Restructuring Teams) consists of parents, teachers, non-instructional school staff, a community member, and in some cases students, to advise the principal on matters that promote high expectations and high achievement for all students.”

According to the website, “As they have since 1992, Local School Advisory Teams have primary responsibility for the following:
 advising the principal on priorities and goals;
 working with the principal on developing the local Comprehensive School Plan, including the supporting budget;
 reviewing data in order to be informed about school needs and trends;
 monitoring and assessing the implementation of the local Comprehensive School Plan;
 using assessment results to develop specific strategies for research-based school improvement;
 alignment of strategic and specific goals and objectives of DCPS.”

Funding is so complex and based on so many factors, including enrollment, special needs, income levels of families…lots of determining factors. I’d get involved on the most local of all levels first, which would be the LSAT for my child’s school and work from there. There is a list of the LSAT for each school if you are interested.

Answer this question




to answer.

This question is in the General Section. Responses must be helpful and on-topic.

Your answer will be saved while you login or join.

Have a question? Ask Fluther!

What do you know more about?
Knowledge Networking @ Fluther