General Question

ashleyjf's avatar

Grants/assistance for single mothers?

Asked by ashleyjf (5points) April 20th, 2011

I am interested in going back to school full time but cannot afford to cut work down to part time. Are there any grants specifically for single mothers for school and living expenses?

Observing members: 0 Composing members: 0

3 Answers

gailcalled's avatar

Pick two or three schools that interest you and contact their financial aid offices. Ask for any relevant grants, loans, and work-study programs for women in your situation.

BarnacleBill's avatar

The first thing you are going to need to do is complete the FASFA application. This is how federal grant money and most financial aid is distributed. Most colleges use it to allocate work-study and other needs based aid. The form is really tedious to fill out, but don’t let it scare you. You will need your tax return to help you answer some of the questions.

dubsrayboo's avatar

I agree with @BarnacleBill . The paperwork for FASFA is tedious but so worth it. I applied for it when I was a single mom and after I was married and got a substantial grant. What a blessing. It may not be the same for you, but even a small amount will help you greatly.

Answer this question




to answer.

This question is in the General Section. Responses must be helpful and on-topic.

Your answer will be saved while you login or join.

Have a question? Ask Fluther!

What do you know more about?
Knowledge Networking @ Fluther