General Question

mdlukas's avatar

I work in an office with tons of static electricity. How can we decrease the number of shocks?

Asked by mdlukas (37points) June 20th, 2008

Every time any of us touches a piece of metal, we get shocked. Might OSHA want to get involved in this?

Observing members: 0 Composing members: 0

10 Answers

Mtl_zack's avatar

it sounds like a fun office on april 1st. i would have so much fun in there :D

jrpowell's avatar

You could try using humidifiers. You would need a hard-core one or a lot of smaller ones.

We used to use them at a movie theater to reduce the static on the film. The humidity at about 60 percent would get rid of our problems.

Melonking's avatar

Put a lair of ruber under your feet.

Harp's avatar

Here are a few things you can do without involving the feds:

Humidify the air; static builds up more readily in a dry atmosphere.

Avoid wearing synthetics or any other fabrics that cling coming from the dryer; the friction of clothing on skin is one factor in static buildup.

Apply moisturizers to your skin; dry skin aggravates the clothing/skin problem.

If you can remember to, touch the metal object first with a key; the static spark will jump from the key instead of your finger.

Ground yourself by placing one hand against a wall or door as you touch the metal object,

ccatron's avatar

i have the same problem…i thought about getting one of these

cooksalot's avatar

One other thing I remember that rubber soled shoes can cause build up of static electricity too. Try to find leather sole shoes. Cost more but does help.

robmandu's avatar

You could try welding the rugs to the floor, like the NSA used to.

marinelife's avatar

Get those mats to put under the office chairs. They reduce wear on the flooring and keep the rolling chairs from creating static.

anonyjelly16's avatar

You can wear an item called “Heel Grounder.” It works very well.
(See: Link to Google Search Results)

lyw7219's avatar

Do you work in an older building? Do you see any water leaks on the ceiling or does it smell musty, esp when it rains? You could have high levels of mold spores in the air causing the static shocks. Please test the humidity before putting a humidifier in the room and make sure oyu don’t have any signs of mold growth.

Answer this question

Login

or

Join

to answer.

This question is in the General Section. Responses must be helpful and on-topic.

Your answer will be saved while you login or join.

Have a question? Ask Fluther!

What do you know more about?
or
Knowledge Networking @ Fluther