General Question

suzannevancleve's avatar

Can i deduct my full time student son on my tax return?

Asked by suzannevancleve (15points) December 3rd, 2009

I’m paying his tuition and rent.

Observing members: 0 Composing members: 0

5 Answers

PandoraBoxx's avatar

Yes, if you’re providing 50% of his expenses.

RedPowerLady's avatar

From what I understand @PandoraBoxx is correct.
But there is more to consider.

How old is he? Does he have children? Is he married? If he is above 24, is married, or has children then he is eligible to claim himself and get more financial aid help. So you might be putting him at a detriment if you did so as he then would not be able to claim himself.

YARNLADY's avatar

The tax regulations have changed on this, and it is now possible for a parent to claim their child student. Here is a link to more information. It is also explained in the IRS tax topics and publication 501

faye's avatar

Wow, I’m supporting 2 of them!! I sure hope this is true in Canada!!

Val123's avatar

I believe that as long as he’s living with you and you’re supporting him and he under 23 (that may vary from state to state) you can deduct him.

Answer this question




to answer.

This question is in the General Section. Responses must be helpful and on-topic.

Your answer will be saved while you login or join.

Have a question? Ask Fluther!

What do you know more about?
Knowledge Networking @ Fluther