General Question

scottk's avatar

I'd like to move out of the USA. How can I go about doing that if I don't have a specific job lined up?

Asked by scottk (31points) March 3rd, 2008

I’m interested in relocating to another English speaking country, preferably England, Canada, or Australia. What sort of steps do I need to take if I don’t have any job lined up? I also do not have friends or family in these countries.

Observing members: 0 Composing members: 0

6 Answers

Tennis5tar's avatar

Learn a trade, or a skill your chosen country is in low supply of.

paulc's avatar

Well if you want to move to any of these countries you will have to go through their immigration process which can be very expensive and time consuming. A friend of mine immigrated here to Canada from Scotland a few years back. It cost him and his partner many thousands of dollars and took the better part of two years to complete everything. I don’t know if that’s standard but they did not have a fun time of it.

If you’re a student it may be possible to get an extended working visa. There’s a program made for this but it only applies to other Commonwealth countries so you’d be out of luck there. However, its possible that there is a separate program for US students. Afterwards you might be in a better position to apply for immigration. It’ll also give you an opportunity to find someone to marry you and speed up the process :)

DS's avatar

Check out with YMCA they could suggest you as they got centers outside the USA.But first go see the embassy of the country go moving to as @paulc explained you the formality aren’t easy.
You really have to keep in mind that it’s going to cost you: in time and money. If you still want to go ahead do it
I did travel to south America with little money and my French passport. I did find job mostly in catering even though I wasn’t allowed to work.

boffin's avatar

Leaving?...Was it something we said?...Bad food?...Lack of social programs….

issinoho's avatar

move. To U.k. We let anyone in here, we will also give you accomodation and state benefits, give you better rights than its long standing residents.

segdeha's avatar

I moved from the States to New Zealand nearly a year ago now. I did have a job lined up, so it’s not completely analogous, but I learned a lot in the process. Most countries (yes, even the UK, issinoho!) have entry requirements around education, skills, and your ability to financially support yourself. Many countries also have skills shortages in areas like computer programming and nursing. I actually entered on a visitors visa because I hadn’t accepted the role. Once I took the job (web developer), I applied for my work permit. You’ll need to just dig in and do the research on the countries you’re interested in. Most of them have this stuff well spelled out on their immigration web sites.

Answer this question




to answer.

This question is in the General Section. Responses must be helpful and on-topic.

Your answer will be saved while you login or join.

Have a question? Ask Fluther!

What do you know more about?
Knowledge Networking @ Fluther