Social Question

trailsillustrated's avatar

Can a repeat dui offender just move to another state?

Asked by trailsillustrated (16799points) April 16th, 2010

I was talking to a neighbour who said that he just got convicted of a 4th dui. He said that there are a handful of states that ‘do not exchange information and are not part of the pact’ whatever that means, and said that he would just move to one of those states, (like Georgia) and pose as someone who has never learned to drive yet, all new. Is this true?? What’s the point of a ‘lifetime revocation’ if they can just move?

Observing members: 0 Composing members: 0

10 Answers

mrrich724's avatar

I like the last two tags you gave this question. He has a serious problem if he’d rather move states than stop drinking and driving! OMG.

dpworkin's avatar

He is in for a rude surprise. Ask our local policeman, @John_Pennington.

richardhenry's avatar

I’m pretty sure he’s mistaken and there’s a clause about fraud and deception in the regulations for acquiring a driving license. “Pose as someone who has never learned to drive yet” is the part they’re likely to have a problem with.

Also, “are not part of the pact”? It certainly sounds like he’s done his research. ~

escapedone7's avatar

Normally a dui or driving while revoked are illegal but won’t leave you with a felony charge usually. Most instances a person only has a misdemeanor.

However, in one case similar to this that I knew of, someone WAS charged with a felony for something similar. When they find out, he will probably be charged with a felony rather than a misdemeanor. Felony charges haunt you the rest of your life and are much worse than misdemeanors. The guy I know can’t even get a job now because of his felony record. Oh yes and he did time.

It will catch up with him. It is not worth it in my opinion. It would be better to take the punishment than to escalate to a felony. That’s pretty dumb.

jazmina88's avatar

There is a federal database and most states have a reciprocal agreement.

I wont give your drunks licenses if you dont give my drunks permission.

Drunk driving is dangerous. I know. I almost killed myself.

john65pennington's avatar

You can move anywhere you please in the United States and your dui record will follow you.

Its called computers.

thriftymaid's avatar

Record will follow you.

YARNLADY's avatar

Some states have antiquated computer systems, and some states computer systems are so mismanaged, no one knows how to use them, and in California, the state employees are so disgruntled, anything goes.

I had a neighbor who claimed they were moving to Alaska because of her husband’s dui’s causing him to lose his job, but I never heard if it did any good.

mrrich724's avatar


True on the disgruntled LA employees. When I moved here I went to the DMV and brought my birth certificate as a second form of ID. The lady said, ” Uh, I can’t take this because it’s laminated so it’s invalid.” (My mom laminated it when I was a kid, I DON’T know why)

So the lady next to her goes, “You know what, if they want to cut my hours I’ll take your laminated birth certificate. Come here sweety.” So she did it for me!

amykloster's avatar

Nope. At least in most states. The Driver’s License Compact (DLC) and Nonresident Violator Compact (NRVC) are two interstate agreements that attempt to open communication channels between member states in order to share information regarding driver’s license suspensions, moving violations, and other offenses. This article talks more about the two laws and which states use them. But things have been fairly revolutionized as far as tracking such things.

Answer this question




to answer.
Your answer will be saved while you login or join.

Have a question? Ask Fluther!

What do you know more about?
Knowledge Networking @ Fluther