Social Question

Jude's avatar

How long can a Canadian stay in the USA without a visa?

Asked by Jude (32134points) May 3rd, 2010

Observing members: 0 Composing members: 0

15 Answers

marinelife's avatar

Up to six months.

jfos's avatar

As long as they still have cash or checks with them.

Jude's avatar

I’m thinking about staying with my girlfriend during the summer months. I’ll be off of work (teacher). We live about 20 minutes away from each other (just a hop over the Blue Water Bridge). I would be coming back home (to visit) during that time, though. I wonder if customs would give me any grief, if I were to go back and forth during those 3 months.

MissAnthrope's avatar

I don’t know about the length of time you can stay, but I doubt they’d give you much, if any, grief. They don’t know you’re staying in the US and visiting Canada. To them, it looks more like you come to the US for a week, go home, come back to the US for a week. If you live that close to the border, you’re probably at least somewhat expected to make trips over to the US.. I know lots of you guys do. If anything, they might ask a reason for your visit or maybe why so many trips in a short period.. all you’d have to tell them is that you’re a teacher with the summer off and are visiting a friend.

Adirondackwannabe's avatar

I’d let you hideout at my house if you need to go on the lam. Canadians are the best neighbors we could ask for.

AstroChuck's avatar

You don’t need a visa in the US. We also take Mastercard, Discover, and American Express here.

wilma's avatar

@jjmah I would check with immigration before you make a lot of plans, but I don’t see any reason to think that it would be a problem. Tell them what your intentions are and see what they have to say. I know people who cross that border everyday for work. (they live in Canada and work in Michigan)
I cross at the Blue Water Bridge a couple of times a year to visit the Toronto area, I have never had any problem. You will need an enhanced drivers license or passport.
Welcome to Michigan, I hope you enjoy your summer!

tinyfaery's avatar

I lived in Canada for about 7 months with no problem. But be careful, people might start calling you an illegal alien and demand your papers. Oh wait, you’re white. No one cares. :)

jfos's avatar

That’s awesome. I wish I lived close enough to Canada to travel there that often.

Jude's avatar

@tinyfaery I’ll come and visit you, as well. :)

Tropical_Willie's avatar


Just remember your Canadian Passport.

CyanoticWasp's avatar

If you’re a Canadian citizen, you don’t need a visa, according the US Consular office website.

Quote from the site:
If you are a Canadian citizen you do not require a visa to enter the United States. Simply take your documentation and proof of Citizenship and proceed to any U.S. Port of Entry.

From Department of Homeland Security (man, I hate that name):

Canadian Citizens – Beginning June 1, 2009

Canadian citizens will need to present a single document that complies with the Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative (WHTI). See for more information.

US-VISIT biometric procedures may apply to some Canadian citizens. Find out if US-VISIT applies to you.

Jude's avatar

Thanks, jellies.

MissAnthrope's avatar

US-VISIT biometric procedures

Boy, doesn’t that sound fun?

tranquilsea's avatar

You can stay up to six months total. Our family has property down in the States, so we need to know just how often we can go visit the property. Just make sure you have your passport.

Answer this question




to answer.
Your answer will be saved while you login or join.

Have a question? Ask Fluther!

What do you know more about?
Knowledge Networking @ Fluther