Potluck challenge: can you think of a take-along dish that meets all these criteria?
For a New Year’s Day (afternoon) open-house potluck buffet, I’d like to take something that meets every one of these criteria. Yes, all of them. Can you think of anything that does?—and provide a recipe if it isn’t self-evident?
• Looks and is “made,” meaning assembled to a recipe (doesn’t look like it came straight out of a box, package, or deli section).
• Is easy to make (not a whole lot of fussing).
• Uses ingredients I can get at an ordinary supermarket (not a specialty shop or fancy grocery), and not too many of them.
• Is easy to transport (won’t self-destruct riding in the car, doesn’t require a specially molded carrying box; this lets out deviled eggs, for instance).
• Can be served cold (will survive a 45-minute drive, doesn’t require use of the host’s oven or microwave).
• Is delicious (subjective, of course, but I thought I’d throw that in).
Bonus points if it’s a finger food that is not too messy.
Oh, and preferably not sweet.