Jude's avatar

Do you do your best to eat local?

Asked by Jude (31980 points ) November 3rd, 2011

I am thinking about going that route, instead of shopping at grocery store chains (which food is usually shipped from California). I’ll opt for what’s in season (locally).

nikipedia's avatar

I grow what I can and get the rest from the farmer’s market. If I have to get something from the grocery store, I try to find things that were grown in state.

SpatzieLover's avatar

Yes. And I find it isn’t too difficult.

In theory

jrpowell's avatar

I’m poor. Burger King is the cheapest way to get full.

Adirondackwannabe's avatar

I grow as much as I can and hit the farmer’s markets as often as possible. I still have carrots coming. I go into a funk in Winter when there’s no good produce.

Blackberry's avatar

I thought you meant not eating at chain resturants lol. I eat local in that sense.

WestRiverrat's avatar

My goal is to hunt and fish for enough meat that I don’t have to buy any for the year.
I will put an heirloom garden in next spring, I will finally have the ground cleared. With a little luck and a lot of work I will be self sufficient to the point of not needing to buy seed in 2–3 years.

tinyfaery's avatar

Everything is grown in CA. It’s hard not to eat locally. Even food from Mexico is local, to me.

deni's avatar

Yesss. It’s pretty easy in Boulder, people are freaks about eating local. Freaks in a good way. It’s awesome.

boxer3's avatar

I’m better at it in the summer, farmer’s market all over the place.

Yes. It is easy here due to the supply and demand of locally grown, organic foods.

Yep, and I am fortunate to live in a major farm trails zone.
My local market carries tons of locally grown organic produce, eggs and meats.

On my road alone there is a walnut ranch, several vineyards with wine and table grapes and a private Bonsai nursery.

@Coloma How do you cook the Bonsai? Sort of like broccoli?

@janbb haha, yes, steam the Cypress tree lol

XD's avatar

My culinary skills are dormant, but I just got a job doing home delivery routes for a really good CSA, which has me stoked. I get a free box of produce a week as a benefit.

SavoirFaire's avatar

Nope. I eat in Paris or Naples every night. ~

Seriously, though, I do tend to purchase local produce whenever possible. I am fortunate that all of the grocery stores in my area have local produce sections.

Aethelflaed's avatar

No. Lots of things don’t grow here without a lot of work (like importing lots and lots of fertilizers), so eating local is often more harmful than eating the stuff imported from somewhere else. It’s also something that costs a lot more, so I don’t really have the luxury of spending all that extra money right now (in fact, I’ve seen some people be pissed at the idea of someone spending student loan money on food from Whole Foods and not Safeway).

YARNLADY's avatar

Groceries? No, I shop bargains only.

mrrich724's avatar

I don’t do local b/c in South Florida, most of the only local stuff is citrus, or nuts. But I’m OK with Cali, as long as my produce comes from the US of A I’ll take it over eating oranges all day (But Florida oranges are the best citrus). The only produce I can’t find nationally is bananas, which I think are from hispanola or something.

perspicacious's avatar

Yes. I always have, even before it was coool!