Our server issues have been resolved! Check out our Facebook page for details.

Zaxwar91's avatar

How do you determine your armor class in Dungeons and Dragons.

Asked by Zaxwar91 (225 points ) June 6th, 2008

I just started playing dungeons and dragons the board game and i cant figure out how to find a characters armor class. Specifics would be greatly appretiated.

Mangus's avatar

Oh man. My knowledge in this area is like 12–15 years old. I remember when 2nd edition was all we could talk about, before it was out! Sorry I don’t actually have an answer. :(

phoenyx's avatar

I haven’t ever done D&D roleplaying, but this series of articles seems to be a good guide to creating a character. It mentions Table 7–6 in the Player’s Handbook.

andrew's avatar

Wasn’t there something about your armor and dexterity bonuses? That gives you your armor class? And THAC0?

Wow. <dodges dork-missiles/>

Mangus's avatar

THAC0! To Hit Armor Class Zero! Yah! That was a new kind of fancy math when 2nd edition came out. <hit squarely in chest with dork-missile/>

lifeflame's avatar

What version are you using?
Usually your AC is determined by the armour you are wearing (or buy).
http://dmchristopher.com/CharacterCrafting/combat.asp
.

In 4th edition here is the calculation:
Armor Class = 10 + Armor Value + Shield Bonus ( if wearing Light Armor either +Dex or +Int modifier, whichever is highest) + ½ character level