Social Question

On this MLK day, what's your opinion of "songified history"?

Asked by La_chica_gomela (12495 points ) January 18th, 2010

Some examples are here and here.

How do you feel about the altering of Dr. King’s speeches in this way? Is it an innovative way to reach a new audience with his message, a disrespect to him, or something else?

Observing members: 0 Composing members: 0

4 Answers

I’m not sure if whatever is in those videos is in the public domain or not, but it is probably covered by fair use. I think it is a creative way to bring MLK into the 21st century. Musicians “cover” others all the time – they take someone else’s work, message, creation and turn it into something new.

I think if it gets people to listen to these important historical moments, then it is not bad.

Those are okay, but I like this best. It’s not really MLK made into a song, but rather a song made around his words and teachings.
Plus I love Common.

I don’t like anybody’s important speeches put to music, or made into a song; it sounds hokey.
One exception: Our Solemn Hour, , which pastes one of Churchill’s radio broadcast in with the rest of the music.
Snazzy orchestral version here

I don’t think much of the non-Churchill lyrics, but these guys are definitely on to something.

Answer this question

Login

or

Join

to answer.
Your answer will be saved while you login or join.

Have a question? Ask Fluther!

What do you know more about?
or
Knowledge Networking @ Fluther