General Question

melanie81's avatar

How do I get mildew out of my closet/drawers?

Asked by melanie81 (792 points ) June 28th, 2010

I can’t seem to “spot” it, but I know it’s in there because the smell is terrible! How do I get rid of it, and prevent more from growing?

Observing members: 0 Composing members: 0

11 Answers

janedelila's avatar

bleach, bleach, more bleach. Spray bottle, mix one part bleach five parts water, and mist lightly every day for a week. Works for me.

YARNLADY's avatar

Put the drawers out in the sun after you wash them out with bleach.

Take everything out of the closet and wash the entire thing with bleach, then spray with Tilex to destroy the mold. Leave the doors open for several days, and perhaps use a fan to help.

Dr_C's avatar

the previous suggestions were both good. However as a form of prevention I would suggest keeping a container of silica or baking soda in there to absorb the moisture that would facilitate the mildew growth.

Keep it dry and you’ll avoid this problem in the future.

truecomedian's avatar

Fire, just light a match and walk away.

Cruiser's avatar

I agree with @Dr_C after a good scrubbing, put an old sock filled with rice and some baking soda to help control odor and moisture.

PandoraBoxx's avatar

Also, when you’ve taken everything out of the closet, look to find out what’s causing the moisture in the closet. Old running shoes? Wet towel? Leak in a pipe or the roof that’s creating black mold in the walls?

Pied_Pfeffer's avatar

Please track down the source of the smell before you go spraying a bleach mixture on wood and walls.

Could it possibly be caused by some clothes that were still damp when put way? That’s the only thing I can think of that would cause the same smell in both a drawer and closet. Or have any of the belongings in the closet been moved to the drawer? Is the smell limited to one drawer or all of them? Is the dresser against a wall adjacent to the closet?

filmfann's avatar

Put the drawers in direct sunlight, and remember to turn over the bureau and do the same (a sunlamp will work as well).
And for gosh sakes, don’t let the mil play in there anymore.

janbb's avatar

Tilex is amazing stuff. If you spray it on the area and leave it for 15–20 minutes, you can just wipe off the mold and mildew. But I agree that finding the soruce of the problem is a good idea.

casheroo's avatar

Damp Rid has some great products http://www.damprid.com/

Response moderated (Unhelpful)

Answer this question

Login

or

Join

to answer.

This question is in the General Section. Responses must be helpful and on-topic.

Your answer will be saved while you login or join.

Have a question? Ask Fluther!

What do you know more about?
or
Knowledge Networking @ Fluther