General Question

numenorea's avatar

What is the dust on moth wings called?

Asked by numenorea (6points) April 11th, 2008 from iPhone

Dust on moth wings.

Observing members: 0 Composing members: 0

2 Answers

delirium's avatar

They’re actually scales. I haven’t heard them referred to as anything else.

tupara's avatar

Yes they are tiny scales. Butterflies and moths make up the order, Lepidoptera, which comes from: lepido = scale, ptera = wing.

Answer this question




to answer.

This question is in the General Section. Responses must be helpful and on-topic.

Your answer will be saved while you login or join.

Have a question? Ask Fluther!

What do you know more about?
Knowledge Networking @ Fluther