General Question

rodydoe89's avatar

How do I make a small claims suit, or begin mediation?

Asked by rodydoe89 (356points) July 2nd, 2011

I bought a car from my cousin for $600. He gave me the bill of sale and said he would be back the next day with the title. Because it was family, I didn’t think I would have any problems. Three weeks later, I still have no title and he won’t give me my money back. Come to find out, when he bought the car a year ago, he never took the title to the court house to have it switched to his name. Legally, the car is in someone else’s name. My husband and I have sent him countless messages, and he will not take the time to look for the title. That, or he simply cannot find it and doesn’t want to pay us our money that we are owed. I want my money back! What is the least expensive and most efficient way to get what I am owed?

Observing members: 0 Composing members: 0

4 Answers

YARNLADY's avatar

Contact the Department of Motor Vehicles and ask what to do. This is more common than you realize, and they have standard procedures.

Tropical_Willie's avatar

I agree go to DMV, most states will deal with issue.
I wonder if the vehicle was registered in the last two or three years?
At $600 I don’t think that there is a lien against the vehicle.

marinelife's avatar

Type in Small Claims Court and the name of the state you are living in. You should get links to sites that tell you how to file a claim. For example, here is the one for New Jersey.

silky1's avatar

Small claims court for your money is the best option here. The car was in fact not legally his to sell since he actually did not own it. He may have had possession of the vehicle but ownership was not established.

Answer this question




to answer.

This question is in the General Section. Responses must be helpful and on-topic.

Your answer will be saved while you login or join.

Have a question? Ask Fluther!

What do you know more about?
Knowledge Networking @ Fluther