General Question

lferrer's avatar

Skin irritation back and shoulders 11 yr old girl home treatments?

Asked by lferrer (7points) October 23rd, 2011

Irritation rash allergy with what appear to be small insect bites in back, shoulders and arms Treated with benadryl and antihistamines – 11 yr old daughter

Observing members: 0 Composing members: 0

12 Answers

creative1's avatar

Are you sure they are bites?? When my daughter gets dry skin it looks like little red dots here and there. I put tons of cocoa cocoa butter cream on her and they magically go away. But the first time it happened I called the peditician who said it was just dry skin. I thought it might be a reaction to the antibotics she was on at that time but it wasn’t.

Pandora's avatar

Sounds like a heat rash. But if its an allergy you might want to try zyrtec next time, but not zyrtec z.
Next time take her to a dermatologist. If you think it may be allergies you might want to use detergent on her clothing that is allergy safe and double rinse in the wash. Also stay away from fabric softeners and dryer towels. Also use dove soap. It won’t dry her skin because its not really soap. Its safe for people who have skin allergies to use. Use the plain one for sensitive skin. If she is shampooing her hair in the shower she may not be rinsing the soap off well off of her skin. Use skin sensitive shampoo as well.

Judi's avatar

Are you also sure it’s not acne? That’s about the age my back started breaking out.

lillycoyote's avatar

Hard to suggest a remedy without knowing what it is. It could be all sorts of things, each one needing a different approach. It would be best to go to a doctor at least for a diagnosis. You can’t fix something if you don’t know what’s broken.

YARNLADY's avatar

Treating a child at home without seeing a doctor to rule out any medical issue is tantamount to child abuse.

cazzie's avatar


We donĀ“t have to run to the doctor for every little thing. (and I live in a country where it is almost free and very easy access) From my very long experience with doctors on three continents, they like to give three things; Cortizone, Antibiotics and the sage old advice..‘If it gets worse, come back and we’ll have a look at it.’

You did not give very much information about what happened to cause the rash. A new shirt? A new laundry product? Did she spray herself with something? How long has the rash persisted?

Not enough information here to really help.

My son had a horrible reaction to a clorinated pool this summer. I kept him out of the pool, gave him something for the discomfort and the rash went away. I saw improvement the very next day, so I knew it would go away and I know my son has sensitive skin and that it was from the chemicals in the pool. No medical degree required. (and no one called social services on me… imagine that)

YARNLADY's avatar

Sorry, I took it as being more serious than it probably is. A light rash with no other symptoms can probably be treated with salve.

lillycoyote's avatar

@YARNLADY and @cazzie and @everyone… no, no one need to run to the doctor for every little thing, but as I said, and this is my opinion, you can’t fix something if you don’t know what’s broken. There are so many things that can cause rashes and irritations on the skin that to ask for home remedies without knowing what exactly is causing the rash and the irritation seems pointless.

I’m not saying rush your daughter to the emergency room in a state of panic but at least get a diagnosis. It could be allergies, it could be bed bug bites, it could be any number of things.

What point is there in offering treatments if you don’t know what it is you are trying to treat? Home remedies may be fine, but first you have to know what is wrong, in order to right it, and none of us are qualified to do that, and certainly not qualified to do that for a skin problem we have not seen or are unable to evaluate first hand.

cazzie's avatar

If you read my post, I didn’t offer treatments for her/him. The poster gives almost no information. Certainly not enough to even ascertain whether or not to even see a doctor. For all we know, the rash has been there for weeks and is weeping puss. The poster needs to help us help them.

lillycoyote's avatar

@cazzie I did read your post. My response was to everyone, including the OP, @YARNLADY and you; not just to you. I stand by my statement that the OP needs to take her daughter to a doctor to determine what is causing the skin problems before she can ask any of us to both diagnose and prescribe home remedies.

Response moderated (Spam)
IsshoNi's avatar

Please, do not mess around with skin problems. It may not seem like a big deal now when she is child, but scars last a life time. When I read this I instantly thought of nodular cystic acne which starts as you are describing. It started for me very near that age. My parents would not help me they just pushed it off as, “Growing up.” I tell you now I am 20 and suffer from emotional issues because it manifested into a horrible hard to beat skin infection. Go to a doctor and do not take it lightly for your daughter sake. Just look up nodular cystic acne.

Answer this question




to answer.

This question is in the General Section. Responses must be helpful and on-topic.

Your answer will be saved while you login or join.

Have a question? Ask Fluther!

What do you know more about?
Knowledge Networking @ Fluther