General Question

Roughdraft76's avatar

How do you get a "divorce by publication" in the state of California?

Asked by Roughdraft76 (219points) May 16th, 2008
Observing members: 0 Composing members: 0

1 Answer

marinelife's avatar

From Divorce Wizards:

Divorce by Publication using DivorceMartâ„¢

If you cannot find your spouse, you can publish the divorce summons in a newspaper. You first must convince the Court you have made every effort to locate your spouse. We will provide you with a checklist of things to do and then we will prepare a declaration for the Court detailing the efforts you have made to locate your spouse. The Judge will then decide if you have made all efforts and if you have, will issue an order for publication. Since the order will name a specific newspaper in which to publish, you will need to select the paper for publication in advance.

Once it’s signed by the judge, we will send you the order which you will forward to the newspaper of your choice with the payment for the publication. They will publish the summons for four consecutive weeks. Cost to you for this ranges from $125 to $500 so it’s best you research this in advance.

After four weeks, the newspaper will send you a proof of publication for you to forward to us. We will submit that to the Court. Your case can then be completed like any other case. The clock starts ticking the 28th day from day one of publication and the divorce can be final in six months from that date. The cost of this package is $995 ($1095 with kids).

Answer this question




to answer.

This question is in the General Section. Responses must be helpful and on-topic.

Your answer will be saved while you login or join.

Have a question? Ask Fluther!

What do you know more about?
Knowledge Networking @ Fluther