General Question

stemnyjones's avatar

Software or website that allows one-way webcam interaction?

Asked by stemnyjones (3969points) March 12th, 2012

Because of financial circumstances that caused me to be unable to pay for daycare this semester, my daughter spends Sunday through Tuesday at my grandmothers house, two hours away. I can tell it’s wearing down on her, so to make it easier I want to talk to her on the phone while she can see me on webcam from their house. Unfortunately my grandfather doesn’t have a webcam, so we can’t use Skype.

Does anyone know a software program or website that would allow me to webcam with him, despite the fact that he doesn’t have a webcam or mic himself?

Observing members: 0 Composing members: 0

5 Answers

tom_g's avatar

Have you tried Google+ Hangouts or even just the basic Google video chat functionality through gmail? Then, you can just mute your mic and use the phone for audio.

Tropical_Willie's avatar

What is the picture of you being shown on? a TV?

DrBill's avatar

skype will work, I have done this several times. Just make the call from the computer that does have a cam, the receiver can see and hear even if they do not have a mike or cam.

wundayatta's avatar

Gmail chat also works when only one side has a camera.

blueiiznh's avatar

Single side cam will work on Skype. If you have a cam, then the other side will see you as you phone chat.

Answer this question




to answer.

This question is in the General Section. Responses must be helpful and on-topic.

Your answer will be saved while you login or join.

Have a question? Ask Fluther!

What do you know more about?
Knowledge Networking @ Fluther