General Question

BronxLens's avatar

Best method / material for signing matted and unmatted photographs?

Asked by BronxLens (1539points) June 13th, 2008

I see photos numbered/signed on the matt; others on the white area surrounding the print. What is the protocol to follow when signing one’s work? Is ther a good reference website/book that expands on this topic?

Observing members: 0 Composing members: 0

4 Answers

Les's avatar

I am pretty sure it is up to you. Personally, I like signing (my initials) on the photograph itself. To me, it is like a painting that way, with the initials and year hidden on the bottom left or right. Maybe take a trip to an art museum so you can see what others have done. But I think it is entirely up to you.

paulc's avatar

There’s no defined way to do it. I know some people who insist on signing and numbering the print/photo/whatever and not the matte because they want it to remain on the piece (though I think some of these people have delusions but I digress). Aesthetically, the coolest look I’ve seen is a flat black matte with a thin silver paint pen for the signature.

robmizelldotcom's avatar

back of the print and on the undermatte. Never on the overmatte because it can be removed and tossed easily.

BronxLens's avatar

Thank you all!

Answer this question




to answer.

This question is in the General Section. Responses must be helpful and on-topic.

Your answer will be saved while you login or join.

Have a question? Ask Fluther!

What do you know more about?
Knowledge Networking @ Fluther