General Question

VoodooLogic's avatar

How do you prove you have a rent deposit as a prospective tenant?

Asked by VoodooLogic (724points) July 21st, 2008

A gentleman in Canada is renting out his condo at a very reasonable rate. However, his solution to prove that I have enough money for a deposit is to wire money to myself. Then, he would check the reference # on the electronic transfer. Once it’s successful he would allow me to rent the apartment. Is there a better way to do this?

Observing members: 0 Composing members: 0

11 Answers

emilyrose's avatar

You could use a credit report, or show him a receipt from your bank of how much savings you currently have. You could also write him a check for the deposit, he’ll see that it wont bounce and get over it!

marinelife's avatar

That seems weird to me unless it is some Canadian custom. I would not do that without talking to my banker here first.

jrpowell's avatar

The “Craigslist” tag and cheap and apartment plus a somewhat weird plan makes me think that this is a scam.

Stocky's avatar

That does sounds a little shady, Here are some tips on Rental Scams

jballou's avatar

Anytime I hear the words “wire money” it’s an instant red flag for me, and I cease all communication. He should be able to run a credit check or have you show him a bank statement or a pay stub. These are far more common practices.

SuperMouse's avatar

That does sound like a pretty convoluted method for proving you have the money. Once he receives the deposit check he can call your bank to verify funds, or he could require the deposit in the form of a cashiers check or money order. I’m with the others, the whole wiring money to yourself thing makes absolutely no sense and sounds somewhat fishy.

chaosrob's avatar

In my experience, you don’t “demonstrate” that you have a deposit. You just write the guy a check, he cashes it, and if you don’t do anything horrible to the carpet, he gives it back when you move out.

andrew's avatar

Let me guess…. in order to verify the reference number he needs your account number, right?

VoodooLogic's avatar

It’s all bad.

chaosrob's avatar

If you are getting scammed, you should report the guy to his local police department.

VanBantam's avatar

Banks can issue a “verification of funds”. You can get one from your bank saying that on this day your account balance is this amount. That seems to me a bit extreme given that you are

As many have said before a pay stub, copy of your bank statement (if you’re so inclined to share that), and/or a credit report should be sufficient.

As many have said before this whole things smells very fishy.

Answer this question




to answer.

This question is in the General Section. Responses must be helpful and on-topic.

Your answer will be saved while you login or join.

Have a question? Ask Fluther!

What do you know more about?
Knowledge Networking @ Fluther