Social Question

LostInParadise's avatar

Could we use a word that is for radio what televise is to television?

Asked by LostInParadise (32031points) December 25th, 2021

You can get by with broadcasting, but it seems that radio deserves its own term. Just what the word would be might be a problem – teleaudioize would not work.

Observing members: 0 Composing members: 0

11 Answers

janbb's avatar


Tropical_Willie's avatar

Radiotelephony means transmission of sound (audio) by radio, in contrast to radiotelegraphy, which is transmission of telegraph signals, or television, transmission of moving pictures and sound.

zenvelo's avatar

Any such word would be a retronym, a word created to fill a parallel construction for a newer word.

Broadcast is absolutely fine. No need for a new word.

LostInParadise's avatar

I had not thought of radiocast. It does not seem to be used that often.

janbb's avatar

@LostInParadise That’s because I just made it up as a portmanteau of radio and broadcast! Maybe now it will appear all over!

Jeruba's avatar

It’s usually broadcast.

rebbel's avatar

“Radio it in.”

filmfann's avatar


kritiper's avatar

Radio itself works.

Answer this question




to answer.
Your answer will be saved while you login or join.

Have a question? Ask Fluther!

What do you know more about?
Knowledge Networking @ Fluther