General Question

charcoalwing's avatar

Can you study a health-related field in grad school with a studio art major?

Asked by charcoalwing (1points) September 22nd, 2008

I was wondering if you can still study a health-related field such as pharmacy, physical therapy, psychology, or public health in grad school when you’ve majored in studio art as an undergrad.

Observing members: 0 Composing members: 0

9 Answers

jjd2006's avatar

You definitely can, but you might have to take a few courses just to show that you have a small background in the health field. Every graduate school has different requirements. I’d talk to the admissions department at the graduate schools you are looking at and see what advice they have.
Example from my own experience: I’m desperately trying to minor in art history just to keep that open as an option for graduate school. I know most of the schools I’d want to go to graduate school for art history at require at least a small basis of understanding in the subject. They just don’t want to have graduate students who get halfway through the program and realize it’s not for them, understandably so.
Anyways, main point: Talk to a few universities and see what the health departments say! They often like it when people come from diverse undergraduate backgrounds so you have that going for you. Good luck!

marinelife's avatar

I agree. You may have to take some additional hard science courses to meet the requirements unless you have been taking college-level science courses. Check the programs that you are interested in for details, which will vary.

nikipedia's avatar

It depends on the program, and you will probably be at a disadvantage. Most of the schools I applied to for neuroscience grad programs required a year each of calculus, physics, chemistry, and biology, and they often recommended additional genetics, biochem, cell biology, and similar coursework. You can take those courses in addition to your studio art major requirements, though.

rss's avatar

I majored in music in college and got a public health masters. so, yes.

as mentioned above, check the prerequisites for the program you are interested in, each program will differ (my public health degree did not require a science background, others at my school did). I know my graduate school also looked a lot at work experience, so consider trying out jobs in your prospective field – added bonus is that you will be sure you want to pursue it!

susanc's avatar

If you say you want to go into medical illustration, you look good to them. Because you’re already halfway there.

shadling21's avatar

You’ve probably already looked into this, but art therapy is a cool interdisciplinary option.

tWrex's avatar

I’ve already decided that once I make my millions {=)} I want to do the art therapy thing. I worked with bd kids and really got them to express a lot with some of the art projects I setup for them. Very very cool field.

Darwin's avatar

I wasn’t sure which way I would go so I got dual degrees in Biology/Chemistry and in Fine Arts/Painting. One thing I found out, however, is that my spiffy Biology degree left me unprepared to get a health care job of any sort, including lab tech, because I hadn’t taken certain laboratory technique classes.

I suggest you figure out which specific health area you are interested in studying and at which school, and then take the necessary undergrad courses at a junior college (it is cheaper there) before applying. That would both fulfill some of the requirements and help convince the graduate faculty that you are truly interested in the field.

On another note, my cousin made a nice career out of music therapy. She was a voice major.

Mr_M's avatar

The examples you give in your question are all over the place. There are “health-related fields” and their are “health-related fields”! Some are technical (ex., pharmacy, nursing, medical technology) and will require science courses under your belt. For Psychology, you WON’T need the science courses but will have to pass the Psychology Graduate Record Exam. For Public Health, you also will NOT need a science background but may be required to have appropriate work experience.

I have a Bachelor’s in Biological Science and Psychology with a Master’s in Health Administration.

Answer this question




to answer.

This question is in the General Section. Responses must be helpful and on-topic.

Your answer will be saved while you login or join.

Have a question? Ask Fluther!

What do you know more about?
Knowledge Networking @ Fluther