General Question

Mimishu1995's avatar

What is the name of this grammar and how do you use it?

Asked by Mimishu1995 (23387points) 2 weeks ago

The ones in bold?

Seeing the fly, she quickly grabbed the swatter

Having said all what needed to be said, they left the room.

I just can’t seem to find a name for this grammar. What does it call and how do we use it in a sentence?

Observing members: 0 Composing members: 0

2 Answers

Lightlyseared's avatar

Introductory clause. It sets the stage for the rest of the sentence.

LostInParadise's avatar

They are participle phrases. In both cases they are being used as adjectives. They can also be used as adverbs. When a verb ending in ing is used to create a phrase that acts as a noun, it is called a gerund phrase. Link

Answer this question




to answer.

This question is in the General Section. Responses must be helpful and on-topic.

Your answer will be saved while you login or join.

Have a question? Ask Fluther!

What do you know more about?
Knowledge Networking @ Fluther