General Question

gimmedat's avatar

Have you sought treatment at a pain clinic?

Asked by gimmedat (3951points) September 29th, 2008 from iPhone

As I mentioned in an earlier question, I suffer chronic neck pain and headaches as the result of a car accident. I decided to go off the cocktail of medications I was taking and seek a more permanent solution (save surgery because that scares the living daylights out of me). I am going to a pain clinic next week and am wondering if anyone within the collective has gone to a pain management practice and what kind of treatment to expect. Thanks.

Observing members: 0 Composing members: 0

1 Answer

mccabe's avatar

Most likely you will have a clinician (psychotherapist) offer you a treatment called Cognitive-Behavioral Therapy (CBT). In this therapy you will examine the relationship between your thoughts, feelings and behaviors. While talk therapy won’t eliminate your pain, you will find strategies to think about your pain differently, to manage your pain differently, and hopefully to experience your pain differently. CBT is a form of therapy that is very active and will require work on your part, but it can really pay off. Take it from me… I’m not only the CBT-for-pain president, I’m also a member :) It works.

Answer this question




to answer.

This question is in the General Section. Responses must be helpful and on-topic.

Your answer will be saved while you login or join.

Have a question? Ask Fluther!

What do you know more about?
Knowledge Networking @ Fluther