emilyrose's avatar

Is there a health benefit to eating slow cooking oats rather than the quick oats? I don't mean instant, I just mean the ones that cook in 2-3 minutes.

Asked by emilyrose (2263points) October 3rd, 2008

Just wondering. I like to eat oatmeal, and I wonder if I am missing out on health benefits by eating the stuff that cooks faster.

In general, the less processed the food, the better. In this case, I am not sure the difference is substantive enough to be measurable.

To really see results, you’d have to use steel-cut oats (or other whole grain oats) and cook them ahead of time to reheat in portions yourself.

109 Fluther opinions here.

There were varied opinions; most went for the steel-cut (aka Irish Oats). Much better for you, but takes 20 minutes or so. I use a slow cooker and do enough for 4 days at a time.

beverleybrooke's avatar

Slow cooked ones are somehow more satisfying…