General Question

RandomMrdan's avatar

Is there a specific name for this type of drink?

Asked by RandomMrdan (7436points) December 28th, 2008

the drink is simple. Coffee with Hot Chocolate mix. I will use a cup, put hot chocolate in the bottom of it, pour in coffee, stir, and drink. What is the name of this drink, or does it not have one?

Observing members: 0 Composing members: 0

19 Answers

MissAnthrope's avatar

The closest I can think is a mocha.. I did a quick search and it seems like anything beyond coffee and hot chocolate, say if you add orange peel or another ingredient, the drink takes on a special name of its own.

Coffee recipes

kevbo's avatar

I call it a poor man’s mocha.

Kay's avatar

@kevbo: You beat me to it! I make them all the time :-)

shadling21's avatar

I don’t know, but I’m tired of ordering a “half-coffee-half-hot-chocolate” from Tim Horton’s (which is, in my opinion, the best drink they serve). Luckily, I recently learned that their mocha is just that, plus whip. So, to order this drink from Tim’s, ask for a “no-whip mocha”.

From Starbucks, you’d order a “mocha coffee misto” (with one pump of vanilla, if you like).

Since “coffee misto” is another term for “cafe au lait”, I reckon you could also call this a “mocha cafe au lait”.

shadling21's avatar

As an aside, Mexican coffee sounds similarly delicious.

Perchik's avatar

Mocha is not half coffee half chocolate.

Mocha is chocolate syrup and espresso. NOT coffee.

Cafe au lait is coffee with milk in it. Similar to a latte which is espresso and milk.

A mocha cafe au lait would be akin pouring chocolate milk into a cup of coffee. It’s not quite hot chocolate mixed with coffee.

scamp's avatar

This site calls it Hot Chocolate Mocha, and they have a recipie for making your own. You can then put it into a jar to give as a gift. Scroll down to variations to see your drink.

Knotmyday's avatar

We always called a “chocko,” never heard it called that outside of the family though.

babygalll's avatar

A simple mocha…

shadling21's avatar

@Perchik- Mocha is also what Starbucks calls their chocolate syrup. You can order anything you like with the word “mocha” as a modifier, denoting usage of the mocha syrup. The syrup is used to make both the mocha (with espresso and steamed milk and foam) and the hot chocolate (with steamed milk, a bit of vanilla, whipped cream, and mocha drizzle). So, a “mocha coffee misto” is accurate, in the Starbucks realm.

Cafe au lait is coffee with steamed or heated milk. Since hot chocolate is frequently made with hot milk, I think this is an appropriate comparison. Hot milk (with mocha powder or syrup) with coffee.

sfortunata's avatar

I’m going to name it a chockodile

erincollins's avatar

It’s called a mocha cafe au lait. Half hot chocolate half coffee, It’s the best!

Strauss's avatar

I would agree with the poor (wo)man’s mocha. A true mocha would use espresso and a good chocolate syrup. I was once told that a mocha is a type of latte.

actually a true mocha is a type of roast, like mocha java. but that’s another thread.

mass_pike4's avatar

amazing drink. dont know the name of it either

RandomMrdan's avatar

@mass_pike4 I think Kevbo got it right.

Kardamom's avatar

How about Mocha Java?

Litos818's avatar

In California prison system
It’s called a Cadillac

Umcoiledpeak's avatar

This is called a ‘Cadillac’. And, was created in jails because the coffee there is, well, cheap(gross). Then, it became popular in public. Now, it’s popular with whip cream and Carmel drizzle ;) seasonally add some pumpkin spice!

Answer this question




to answer.

This question is in the General Section. Responses must be helpful and on-topic.

Your answer will be saved while you login or join.

Have a question? Ask Fluther!

What do you know more about?
Knowledge Networking @ Fluther