General Question

GD_Kimble's avatar

Why is chocolate poisonous to dogs?

Asked by GD_Kimble (2277points) October 7th, 2007

That’s always struck me as odd. I mean, why is this specific to dogs? Why wouldn’t chocolate kill us, or other animals as well?

Observing members: 0 Composing members: 0

3 Answers

rictic's avatar

Wikipedia weighs in

Short answer: It’s a chemical called theobromine that many mammals can’t metabolize, so it ends up floating around the blood stream for too long. For whatever reason, humans and some other apes metabolize fast enough that we’re just fine.

sjg102379's avatar

Not all dogs react to it, though. But there are a bunch of things that people can eat that dogs can’t. Like aspirin and grapes.

TennesseeTeacake's avatar

thank goodness for our special metabolisms. i love chocolate.

Answer this question

Login

or

Join

to answer.

This question is in the General Section. Responses must be helpful and on-topic.

Your answer will be saved while you login or join.

Have a question? Ask Fluther!

What do you know more about?
or
Knowledge Networking @ Fluther