General Question

Dog's avatar

Horse Race Training- What is the terminology?

Asked by Dog (24703points) March 4th, 2009

At the racetrack in the early morning a rider was out on the track with a horse. In the center of the track a man stood with what might have been a watch.

One could assume that the man with the watch was timing the horse but is there any official or slang name for that type of workout? Would the man with the watch be the horse owner?

I have searched the internet and the archives here with no luck only coming up with rules regarding timing on actual races.

Any help with terminology would be helpful.

Observing members: 0 Composing members: 0

4 Answers

exitnirvana's avatar

I’ve heard it referred to as “galloping,” but other than that I don’t think there is any real definitive terminology for the morning workout. And typically, the trainer/conditioner/clocker is the one standing off-track with the stopwatch.

AlfredaPrufrock's avatar

I’ve always heard it referred as morning workout. It’s to familiarize the horse with the track. The person with the stopwatch is the clocker.

dlm812's avatar

It’s a “morning breeze” and the trainer is “clocking” the horse.

Dog's avatar

Thank you so much!

Answer this question




to answer.

This question is in the General Section. Responses must be helpful and on-topic.

Your answer will be saved while you login or join.

Have a question? Ask Fluther!

What do you know more about?
Knowledge Networking @ Fluther