General Question

sndfreQ's avatar

What resources are readily available for spouses who have suffered emotional abuse?

Asked by sndfreQ (11739points) January 17th, 2008 from iPhone

A close friend who has suffered many years of emotional abuse from their spouse is finally considering self help and dissolving the marriage. What resources, services (both physical and online) or other support can my friend use to aid in research and/or action?

Observing members: 0 Composing members: 0

4 Answers

sndfreQ's avatar

thx in advance :)

sjg102379's avatar

Without knowing where you live, it’s hard to steer you to services. Most areas will have at least one domestic violence agency which can provide support, advocacy, and referrals for services. I would suggest that you google your city or county and “domestic violence agency” to find one closest to you. As well, some states have state-wide hotlines for support and assistance.
FYI, here is what my local agency suggests as ways to help a friend in this situation:

sndfreQ's avatar

We are located in southern California

gailcalled's avatar

I found this in the “Government and Community Services” part of my phone book’.

Nat’l domestic violence hot line: 1–800-799–7233

There were also several local numbers for the organizations within my county.

Answer this question




to answer.

This question is in the General Section. Responses must be helpful and on-topic.

Your answer will be saved while you login or join.

Have a question? Ask Fluther!

What do you know more about?
Knowledge Networking @ Fluther