General Question

will's avatar

What is the proper formal address for a juris doctorate?

Asked by will (104points) December 8th, 2009

If I’m writing a formal letter to someone who holds a juris doctorate, what’s the proper formatting?

Google seems to think I should address it to “Lawrence Lessig, Esq.”, and use “Dear Atty. Lessig,” as the salutation.

Observing members: 0 Composing members: 0

9 Answers

Response moderated
marinelife's avatar

Google is correct.

gailcalled's avatar

That sounds right to me.

mirifique's avatar

Just seeing that @stratman37‘s response to this question was removed made me laugh.

stratman37's avatar

They’ve got it in for me today…

stratman37's avatar

all I said was: “Dear Dude,”

ratboy's avatar

Hey, Shylock!

Jeruba's avatar

A juris doctor is not necessarily an attorney. You receive your J.D. when you graduate from law school. To become an attorney, you must pass the bar exam and be admitted to the bar through a certification process.

UScitizen's avatar

Most JDs prefer to avoid the title problems. They leave the phony Dr. titles to those with education degrees. Just use Mr. and all will be well.

Answer this question




to answer.

This question is in the General Section. Responses must be helpful and on-topic.

Your answer will be saved while you login or join.

Have a question? Ask Fluther!

What do you know more about?
Knowledge Networking @ Fluther