General Question

juniper's avatar

Have you had any luck with air purifiers?

Asked by juniper (1905points) February 5th, 2010

I’m thinking of purchasing an air purifier to combat a possible mold allergy. Do you use an air purifier for a similar purpose?

When I start using a purifier, how long might it take for me to notice a difference? Should I put the purifier in the room with the mold or in the room where I spend 95% of my time? Should I leave it on all day and all night or just when I’m in the room?

Money is not really an issue. I’m desperate.

Thanks for the input!

Observing members: 0 Composing members: 0

5 Answers

john65pennington's avatar

Buying and using an air purifier is just masking your problem. its like using a bandaid over a cut. you need to contact an enviromential specialist and get to the heart of your problem with mold and mildew. it will never go away, until its attacked head on. the air purifier will be just a waste of your money.

chucklmiller's avatar

Yes! I have 2 in my house to combat my daughter’s allergies to mold and dust mites. We’ve placed them in the 2 rooms she frequents the most, and we have already seen an improvement in how often she has “attacks”.

There is also a permanent filter you can get for your central air unit. I think it’s called “golden filter” or something like that. You simply wash it once a month instead of replacing it. It’s $100 or so, but it pays for itself over time.

syz's avatar

I can’t tell any difference when mine runs, but I thinks it’s probably overwhelmed by the cat hair, dog hair, and bird dust.

lilikoi's avatar

I’ve used an air purifier to filter out dust and dander; it helped a lot.

Are you super sensitive to mold? Can you actually see mold growth on any surfaces in your home? Or, is it just that minute traces of mold spores in the air trigger your allergies?

Air purifiers simply circulate air, and manually filter out particulates. If you get an air purifier that uses a HEPA filter, it is fine enough to trap mold spores. I’m pretty sure more readily available filters are too coarse to trap mold spores. This will solve your problem if you are sensitive to mold spores in the air. You should place the air purifier in the room you spend the most time in and run it continuously.

If we’re talking about visible mold growth, an air purifier will do little to solve your problem. Mold needs three things to exist: moisture, light, and a surface to glom on to. To get rid of mold growth, you need to get rid of the standing moisture. This is typically done by increasing ventilation, and can be done in a number of ways depending on the situation.

filmfann's avatar

I used a Negative Ion Generator for years, and loved the results.

Answer this question

Login

or

Join

to answer.

This question is in the General Section. Responses must be helpful and on-topic.

Your answer will be saved while you login or join.

Have a question? Ask Fluther!

What do you know more about?
or
Knowledge Networking @ Fluther