General Question

hagueemi's avatar

How can an American citizen find a job in London?

Asked by hagueemi (19points) February 13th, 2010

I am finishing up at master’s degree in the US, and looking to pursue opportunities abroad. I would love to spend some time working in London, but I know that it is difficult for Americans to obtain UK work visas. Does anyone have recommendations about the best way to find a job with an employer that will sponsor me? My degree will be in public policy and management, so I’m most interested in entry-level research or analyst positions or a job at a nonprofit.

Observing members: 0 Composing members: 0

7 Answers

lilikoi's avatar

Great question. I’ve been wondering this myself. Subscribing.

marinelife's avatar

Perhapos you will find this helpful.

evandad's avatar

I’m sure they’re available if you’re willing to deal with a mountain of paperwork. Good Luck

the100thmonkey's avatar

If you think it’s difficult to obtain permission to work in the UK as a US citizen, you’d shit a brick at the restrictions applied to other nations.

The ukvisas site is very useful for you – it outlines in plain English what you need to do or have in order to move here to work. It seems that you have three options – a Tier 1: General Migrant Visa, a Tier 1: Post-study Work Visa or a Tier 2: Skilled Worker Visa.

You may also need to demonstrate your level of English through an exam recognised by the government if English is not your native language.

janbb's avatar

I tried some years ago and was not given a work permit for the job I’d been offered. Your best bet might be to get a job with an American firm with offices in London that will sponsor you for the permit.

dangbit's avatar

With a master’s degree and enough cash, you might be able to get through the skilled migrant worker program. I think they prefer people to fill jobs in roles for which there are a shortage, such as nurses, doctors, etc. Not sure what research or analyst positions will mean for points.

Answer this question




to answer.

This question is in the General Section. Responses must be helpful and on-topic.

Your answer will be saved while you login or join.

Have a question? Ask Fluther!

What do you know more about?
Knowledge Networking @ Fluther