General Question

Hypocrisy_Central's avatar

Battered pregnant woman in Northern California, what are her options?

Asked by Hypocrisy_Central (26879points) July 31st, 2010

If you know a pregnant female in Northern California what resources are there out there that can help or aid in escaping and abusive relationship? And what place do you know that has legal help pro bono or where a low-income (and maybe now homeless pregnant woman) could possibly afford? Yeah, there was battering on his part. Any suggestions, what are her options, legal and shelter etc?

Observing members: 0 Composing members: 0

14 Answers

lillycoyote's avatar

Again, Northern California is a very large area. There are most certainly resources in terms of legal help and battered women’s shelters “there” but no one is going to be able to help you locate them if you can’t be more specific than “Northern California.”

Hypocrisy_Central's avatar

@lillycoyote East Bay/Delta region near Concord for those who are familiar with Nor Cal geography.

lillycoyote's avatar

@Hypocrisy_Central Thank you! I am not familiar with the area but at least you have now given people on fluther enough information to help you help your friend. I respect and applaud that, of course, that you want to help her, sometimes you just need to be more specific, is all. I really hope there are people on fluther who can give you some good references to find help in that part of California. Good luck. Let us know how it works out.

YARNLADY's avatar

W.E.A.V.E. = Women Escaping A Violent Environment

If this does not cover your area, use this contact information for referrals.National Domestic Violence Hotline 1.800.799.7233

Flavio's avatar

DV crisis hotline in contra costa county is

STAND! Against Domestic Violence is ready to help right now. The 24-hour Crisis Line provides crisis intervention and peer support by telephone 24 hours a day, seven days a week. Our toll-free telephone number is 1.888.215.5555.

When I worked in the SF General Hospital ER, we were in close contact with DV resources in SF County. An option is always to go to your nearby emergency room. The Trauma Recovery Center is a great resource in San Francisco.

gtreyger's avatar

The nearest police station.

Hypocrisy_Central's avatar

@gtreyger ” The nearest police station.” Surprising (or maybe not) they (the cops) were of very little use. Since she had most of her effects stored elsewhere and her mail being delivered elsewhere because he would often deny her access to the house or break, lose or hide it. And because she wears multiple layers as “armor” for when he gets physical when the cops showed because “she” called them they said she was intruding because that is what he said, that they were not dating and she never lived there because her mail and most other things were not in the house, and the police leaned more in his side because she was not on the lease only him. Also because he had some scrapes and a bite mark he got when she was trying to defend herself against attack. So the police were rather ineffective at all in giving her any help.

evandad's avatar

Her options have to began with taking charge of herself and her unborn baby. Once she does that there are plenty of resources in her area or she can get on the BART train and find help in San Francisco.

norah's avatar

CORA is an organization I’ve heard about in the SF bay peninsula.

YARNLADY's avatar

Please update


Why not just leave the state and move somewhere far away?

Hypocrisy_Central's avatar

@YARNLADY Out of a fry pan and into a skillet. Don’t trust the agancies because the cops let her down. Left the old boyfriend and ended up with what I heard was a more dangerous scumbag and drug dealer.

Answer this question




to answer.

This question is in the General Section. Responses must be helpful and on-topic.

Your answer will be saved while you login or join.

Have a question? Ask Fluther!

What do you know more about?
Knowledge Networking @ Fluther