General Question

Mtl_zack's avatar

What do you call the big misshapen thing that you carve ginger (the spice) out of?

Asked by Mtl_zack (6778points) March 24th, 2008

a stalk? a stem?

Observing members: 0 Composing members: 0

8 Answers

sharl's avatar

I never knew that. I thought it was root too. Well spotted.

chaosrob's avatar

Yeah, I married a biologist. :)

Lightlyseared's avatar

I always thought it was a rhizome.

bulbatron9's avatar

Ginger is a rhizome and even though I’m not married to a biologist, I know this for a fact!

chaosrob's avatar

Corms are rhizomes. Or, rather, corms use the mechanism of a rhizome, with beneficial soil bacteria.

srmorgan's avatar

In Chinese it’s called a hand, based on the shape of a decent sized piece of ginger.


Answer this question




to answer.

This question is in the General Section. Responses must be helpful and on-topic.

Your answer will be saved while you login or join.

Have a question? Ask Fluther!

What do you know more about?
Knowledge Networking @ Fluther