Social Question

Anders's avatar

Can i apply for my daughters passport without her dads signature?

Asked by Anders (15points) September 5th, 2010

his name is not on her birth certificate but she has his last name

Observing members: 0 Composing members: 0

5 Answers

trailsillustrated's avatar

no , if she is a minor he has to sign. Or you have to show her birth certificate, and divorce and custody papers.

Tropical_Willie's avatar

I’m confused, name not on birth certificate. . . That aside, is she over 16 years old ?

If so, NO
If under 16, YES.

Assumption you live in USA.

Seaofclouds's avatar

According to this you don’t have to if he is not listed on the birth certificate (for minors under 16). Down almost at the bottom of the page it states:

“One parent (with sole legal custody) must: Submit primary evidence of sole authority to apply for the child with one of the following:
Minor’s certified U.S. or foreign birth certificate listing only the applying parent.
Court order granting sole custody to the applying parent (unless child’s travel is restricted by that order)”.

So if you have a court order giving you sole custody you could use that as well, but the birth certificate should be enough. There are a few other options listed as well.

Anders's avatar

Thanks for the info.Yes she is under 16 and I am the only parent on her birth certificate.we were never married…he didnt want to sign it because he did not want to go on child support….imagine…Dont need it…Thanks again everyone.

butterflymoth's avatar

@Anders Really now…what kind of father is he? He sounds like a cheap SOB!

How mant kids has he fathered?

When your child grows up and finds this out she/he…

Answer this question




to answer.
Your answer will be saved while you login or join.

Have a question? Ask Fluther!

What do you know more about?
Knowledge Networking @ Fluther