jca's avatar

What's the best free virus protection for Windows in 2014?

Asked by jca (27953 points ) February 8th, 2014

What’s the best free virus protection for Windows in 2014?

I see this question was asked a few years ago, but technology changes…..

SquirrelEStuff's avatar

I use Windows Defender, which to my knowledge, has been built into Windows for some time now. I have no other anti-virus protection on my PC, and (knock on wood) have had no problems in the virus department.

Using a read only virtual OS that gets reset on every boot.

jerv's avatar

Another vote for Avast!

@SquirrelEStuff Read this head-to-head and you might change your thinking.

XOIIO's avatar

@ragingloli… and if the host OS gets infected? Even if you don’t run anything on it, if it has an internet connection it can get infected.

XOIIO's avatar

@SquirrelEStuff Download superantispyware portable scanner technicians edition and see how many things pop up. Windows defender is pretty shit.

CrifJohnson's avatar

Avira
I have been using Avira free antivirus software for three years and I have no complains of any kind of infection,system crashes and system slowdown unlike other softwares.
Avira does its work silently and in a more professional way i.e. This is not an annoying software and works intelligently.

ibstubro's avatar

I’m still using the free version of AVG and I’ve never had a virus while using it.

jerv's avatar

@ibstubro I’ve only ever had 2 viruses. One was with AVG, the other was on a Mac.

ibstubro's avatar

Thanks, @jerv. I’m going to switch to the other computer sitting on my desk one day, and I’ll check into Avast for it.

I have two complete computers set up at my desk, and yet, continue to use the slow old antique.

lillyhop's avatar

I like Avira and Kingsoft Antivirus If speaking about free ones and Kaspersky if you are ready to pay for software.

jerv's avatar

@lillyhop Most of the tests Ive seen place Kingsoft near the bottom of the list as far as effectiveness. Getting rated 26th out of 27 products tested isnt really a ringing endorsement :/

XOIIO's avatar

@jerv Yeah, I’ve never even heard of that.

KurtMoor's avatar

I like Avira Free Antivirus.