General Question

What is Bovarro? It came in a jar, back during WWII.

Asked by BronxLens (1527 points ) August 27th, 2008

In a scene in The Great Escape a fellow prisoner brings James Garner’s character food contraband, including a jar of Bovarro (that’s the spelling that appears with the English subtitles).

Observing members: 0 Composing members: 0

9 Answers

I wonder if it wouldn’t have been understood to be Bovril, a popular British condiment. Changing the name could have been a way of skirting trademark laws.

It could have also been a mistranslation. Oftentimes, if the film is in French, I see some real howlers in the subtitles. I agree also with Harp’s Bovril.

I like the Bovril theory. Lets see what else the Fluther team throws at us.

No other choice. Bovril it is. (Like a jar of smashed-up beef bouillon cubes.) But check out Marmite and Vegemite….all adding to the oxymoron of British haute cuisine.

More info at this aptly named site; http://www.britishdelights.com/marmite.asp

(Sample of the prose; “MARMITE has a distinctive savory taste, unlike anything else.”
And: “Vegemite:rumor has it that one 4 oz jar is worth over 100 servings.”)

Plus, most all of the prisoners are British. (also a few Aussies, Irishmen, Scots, the three Americans, and whatever the hell Charles Bronson is supposed to be) Great flick. One of the first I bought on DVD years ago.

@Breed: Why are you not studying? Hit the books, or the bottles.

There are a number of people named Bovarro on Facebook. I like the Bovil theory, but if we need alternatives, I’d guess that it was a made-up product that got named after someone on staff.
TvTropes is silent on the matter.

@breedmitch: Bronson’s character was Greek.

Answer this question

Login

or

Join

to answer.

This question is in the General Section. Responses must be helpful and on-topic.

Your answer will be saved while you login or join.

Have a question? Ask Fluther!

What do you know more about?
or
Knowledge Networking @ Fluther