Mtl_zack's avatar

Can eating more meat/not eating enough fruits and vegetables cause these problems?

Asked by Mtl_zack (6730 points ) February 4th, 2009

My diet has been out of whack recently. I’m eating A LOT of meat, and very little fruit or vegetables. I’m getting pimples, even though I’m taking Accutane. Accutane stimulates the production of Vitamin A, I think. I’m also having some diarrhea. Can my diet be causing these problems?

trumi's avatar

Well yeah :P

Just from personal experience, an out-of-whack diet can cause lots of issues. Especially in the bathroom.

aprilsimnel's avatar

Yes. You need roughage, which fruits, vegetables and whole grains provide.

arnbev959's avatar

I went on a two week family vacation to the beach last summer. We ate out all the time, and after the first week, everyone started feeling sick. I figured out why. I went to the supermarket and bought a ton of fruit for myself, devoured it, and promptly began to feel much better.

Allie's avatar

Heh, Petey. ..bought a ton of fruit for myself..

steve6's avatar

any fried foods?

Vinifera7's avatar

You will get constipation or other issues with your bowels unless you take in more fiber.

dynamicduo's avatar

Yes, your diet is likely affecting (possibly not 100% responsible) your body in the ways you describe. Eat more vegetables and grains to get more fiber. Try some hummus with carrots/celery/whatever veggie you love the most – it’s cheap, it tastes great, it’s full of fiber and vitamins, and it’s not as cumbersome as a salad (you can pack up hummus and veggies in a lunch bag and it’ll stay and taste good for a long period of time).

Response moderated
AlfredaPrufrock's avatar

A coworker went on Atkins and totally wrecked her digestive track. The program has a quick start, where you eat only protein for the first two weeks, and then add other stuff in. She was losing weight at a good pace, so she kept it up for about 12 weeks, and ended up hospitalized. Three years later, she still has problems.

You need to eat a balanced diet. If you’re trying to lose weight, cut out all processed foods, sugars (soft drinks) and most fats. Eat lots of veggies, and a reasonable amount of protein and fruit.

90s_kid's avatar

I would have thought the opposite!
I thought fruits and everything gave you zits. All about how your body takes it I guess. I would be the total opposite of you. You better catch up on some carbs to avoid heart attacks.
Sorry, that was harsh, what is wrong with me?
I just did a science fair topic on the Atkins Diet Vs. High Carbohydrate Diet

SmoothEmeraldOasis's avatar

One great addition to your diet is a product that you add to your juice of your choice and it called Nopalina, wonderful way for you to get rouphage and nutrition.

Eggie's avatar

Yes it could be the change of diet that is giving you problems.