General Question

Spargett's avatar

US Mail question: Return to Sender?

Asked by Spargett (5395points) April 4th, 2008

I recently purchased a pair of headphones for my girlfriend. Upon opening them I realized one of the screens inside the speaker was missing.

So now I have to send them back to get replaced. Is it possible for me to just tape up the box they came in, write “RETURN TO SENDER” and drop it back off at the post office, without having to pay for shipping again?

Observing members: 0 Composing members: 0

8 Answers

soundedfury's avatar

Nope. “Return to sender” is only for use when you are rejecting the package for legit reasons, such as wrong recipient or address.

babygalll's avatar

They can tell when a package is open, so they will just refuse it. If they let people get away with that everyone would do it.

scamp's avatar

If the package has been opened you have to pay shipping to return it.

gailcalled's avatar

Call the company’s 800 #. Usually if it is their fault, they will cover the shipping but will have to approve it and give you an order number or tracking number or something.

(Take notes during conversation. I find that if I press 0 during the endless voice prompts, I can usually get a human.)

babygalll's avatar

It’s clearly not their fault. He opened the package.

Randy's avatar

@ babygalll- its their fault for the screen not being there. I believe he means he opened it, they were broken or messed up, and now he has to pay to send them back and recieve the correct, intact product. I think you just misunderstood somewhere.

I think gail is on to something. I’d call them and see if you can get them to cover the shipping. Most companys are good about that.

gailcalled's avatar

I have recently discovered I can find lots of interesting things by calling and asking. For example, I have a Verizon cell phone plan for a phone I use about 2 times a year. No signal at my house or in the hamlet; so I keep the phone only for emergencies while I am driving.

I called Verizon on a whim, and lo and behold; they had an unadvertised plan for half the amount and just for my situation. So I am saving enough annually to pay for my increased heating bill.

babygalll's avatar

Oh ok..I misunderstood.

Call the company who sent it and tell them to send you a new pair along with a prepaid lable, so you can send it back to them. If they refuse to do so then you can dispute the charges..that is if you paid by credit card and go buy it somewhere else.

Answer this question




to answer.

This question is in the General Section. Responses must be helpful and on-topic.

Your answer will be saved while you login or join.

Have a question? Ask Fluther!

What do you know more about?
Knowledge Networking @ Fluther