General Question

saservp's avatar

How do I get my income tax rebate when leaving the UK?

Asked by saservp (291points) November 25th, 2010

Calling all UK flutherers…

I am permanently leaving the UK next week. I am currently working full-time, and I used one of the many tax rebate calculators, which says that I am owed about 300–500 pounds since I’m not working until the end of the tax year (April in the UK I believe).

Since I am leaving the country, what process do I need to take to get that money? I am from the US and don’t quite understand UK taxes.

I read somewhere to get a P45 from my employer before I leave? Or does the employer itself process the tax rebate?

So confused!

Observing members: 0 Composing members: 0

2 Answers

meiosis's avatar

You get a P45 from your employer when you leave any job, but you’ll also need to fill in a P85 (or a P85(S) depending on your residency status) from your local tax office (get the contact details of this from your employer) to apply for a refund.

Have a look at HMRC’s website for more information.

Why are you leaving? Have you had enough of us? :)

Answer this question




to answer.

This question is in the General Section. Responses must be helpful and on-topic.

Your answer will be saved while you login or join.

Have a question? Ask Fluther!

What do you know more about?
Knowledge Networking @ Fluther