General Question

BoBo1946's avatar

Can someone give me some good advise on physical therapy for Iliotibial Band Syndrome?

Asked by BoBo1946 (15285points) December 29th, 2010

I’ve searched the web and there is some good information on how to treat this problem, but wanted first hand experience from a jelly friend.

Observing members: 0 Composing members: 0

3 Answers

birdland33's avatar

I went to the doctor about that just last week. Never heard of it before, but my doctor gave me some exercises/stretches to do and said Aleve is good. I will be curious to see responses.

BoBo1946's avatar

@birdland33 me too. My doctor gave me 4 cortisone shots..dang, it hurt… and also sending me to physical therapy. I will let you know what kind of stretches they recommend.

Brian1946's avatar

Per :

“While pain can be acute to quite painful, the iliotibial band can be rested, iced, compressed and elevated (RICE) to reduce pain and inflammation, followed by stretching. Massage therapy may also be beneficial by removing the scar tissue. Using a foam roller to loosen the iliotibial band can help prevent and treat pain although the treatment itself can be very painful to some. Also, an ultra sound machine can be used around the area to relax it, followed by a machine that utilizes electrode stimulation to the area to further relax it. This can result in more comfort and/or a wider range of motion. Consulting with a doctor or referring to a registered physiotherapist or athletic therapist would be the best solutions. Custom foot orthotics may treat this condition by controlling the amount of inversion (medial rotation) of the foot and thus reducing rotation of the leg and knee (which creates friction of the Illiotibial Band against the outside of the knee).”

Answer this question




to answer.

This question is in the General Section. Responses must be helpful and on-topic.

Your answer will be saved while you login or join.

Have a question? Ask Fluther!

What do you know more about?
Knowledge Networking @ Fluther