General Question

silky1's avatar

Do you file federal and state income taxes seperately?

Asked by silky1 (1507points) March 4th, 2011

We have file and received federal income taxes but now I’m wondering about the state.

Observing members: 0 Composing members: 0

8 Answers

Seaofclouds's avatar

Yes. There are separate forms that need to be filled out and filed for any state you have had income tax held in.

Adirondackwannabe's avatar

Depends on what state you are in. Some don’t have state income tax.

tedibear's avatar

If your state has an income tax, yes, it is done separately from the Federal filing. Also, find out if you have a city or local income tax. Where I live, some communities have a 1 or 2 percent income tax for residents.

Zaku's avatar

They are separate with separate people to mail to.

Unless you live in a nice state like Washington, which has no state income tax! Yay!

jerv's avatar

When I lived in Vermont, I had to file and send separate returns for Federal and State taxes.
Having spent most of my adult life either in WA or NH, I haven’t filed State taxes in years though :D

buster's avatar

No I don’t file taxes. I will probably be in federal prison one day.

YoBob's avatar

Nope. I live in a state that is sensible enough to have an at the register sales tax rather than a state income tax.

perspicacious's avatar

Yes. If your state has income tax requirements you file it separately.

Answer this question




to answer.

This question is in the General Section. Responses must be helpful and on-topic.

Your answer will be saved while you login or join.

Have a question? Ask Fluther!

What do you know more about?
Knowledge Networking @ Fluther