General Question

garydale's avatar

Can anyone tell me what kind of program is used by the Polyglot Project?

Asked by garydale (216points) July 6th, 2011

They have a program where if you click twice on a word the definition shows. I have seen similar programs in other sites, especially wiki sites. It is also used in a more involved way by LingQ. For your reference, here is the link to the Polyglot Project:

Observing members: 0 Composing members: 0

6 Answers

roundsquare's avatar

I don’t get your question. Are you asking what programming language is being used?

funkdaddy's avatar

It’s done with javascript using jQuery

As far as I can tell it isn’t a published package but you can look at their code by viewing the source of the site.

Their using google translate for the translations, I would guess through their API but apparently that’s been deprecated so maybe not.

Does that answer your question or were you looking for something you could just drop in to another site and get the same results?

roundsquare's avatar

@funkdaddy The google translate API was deprecated but is still usable till Dec 1. They could still use it for now.

garydale's avatar

Damn. So that means it might disappear?

roundsquare's avatar

@garydale Yeah. Automated translation is extremely difficult so without google giving it away for free, its hard to see how else it’ll be done.

garydale's avatar

Damn. I like this project. I hope it goes on.

Answer this question




to answer.

This question is in the General Section. Responses must be helpful and on-topic.

Your answer will be saved while you login or join.

Have a question? Ask Fluther!

What do you know more about?
Knowledge Networking @ Fluther