General Question

lexilexi23's avatar

Can they reduce your check if you receive ex husbands retirement when on Social Security Disability?

Asked by lexilexi23 (18points) March 20th, 2013

I am 58 and receiving Social Security Disability, I started to get a small check from ex-husband (per divorce), it’s from his retirement. I understood retirement would not affect my disability check, but now they say I owe them money and they have reduced my SSD check by half, the lady that did the application put down the check as alimony and that my ex died, neither is true, it is his retirement and he is not dead. What do I do now, I cannot live on what they are giving me right now, I lost my home on top of that.

Observing members: 0 Composing members: 0

3 Answers

YARNLADY's avatar

Get all the documentation you can from the people who issue the checks, and keep in constant contact with the SS people. always note the name of the person you talk to and the time of your call. Keep copies of everything you receive.

janbb's avatar

See if there is a Legal AId office in your area and if you can get legal advice for free. You can appeal this decision.

silky1's avatar

Start immediate action to have your original check re instated until the matter at hand is sorted out. In the end they will end up owing you and not the other way around.

Answer this question




to answer.

This question is in the General Section. Responses must be helpful and on-topic.

Your answer will be saved while you login or join.

Have a question? Ask Fluther!

What do you know more about?
Knowledge Networking @ Fluther