General Question

luminous00's avatar

Do you need a passport to get into Canada if you're driving in rather than flying?

Asked by luminous00 (350points) June 28th, 2008

I ask because I swore I heard somewhere that you didn’t need a passport if you’re driving into Canada…

Observing members: 0 Composing members: 0

7 Answers

marinelife's avatar

Not quite yet. But soon.

For now, you need:
“Land/Sea Travel

Beginning January 31, 2008, the United States will end the practice of accepting oral declarations of citizenship at the border.

* U.S. citizens ages 19 and older must present documentation that proves both identity and citizenship. Identification documents must include a photo, name and date of birth. View the complete list of acceptable documents at ”

The Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative (WHTI) is part of the US government’s plan to strengthen border security. The WHTI affects travel to Canada in that it will require all travelers to and from Canada, Mexico, Central and South America, the Caribbean and Bermuda to present a passport to enter or re-enter the United States. Therefore, American visitors to these countries may be refused entry if they do not present a passport, Merchant Mariner Document (MMD), or NEXUS Air Card .

June 1, 2009 – The deadline for all Western Hemisphere travel, including land border travel. The specific requirements for the land border crossing will be outlined before this date. Note: June 1, 2009, is the deadline; it’s possible – with proper notice – for the date to move up.”

scamp's avatar

Good to know! thanks for asking this question, and thanks to Marina for the info.

luminous00's avatar

Awesome! Thanks. So basically what you’re saying is that June 1st, 2009 is when it’ll be required to have a passport? So all I’d need is my drivers license right now?

marinelife's avatar

Please see the Customs and Border Patrol Web site if you have other questions. Here is what they say about acceptable ID (emphasis mine):

“Beginning January 31, 2008, U.S. and Canadian citizens 19 years and older who enter the U.S. at land and sea ports of entry from within the Western Hemisphere will need to present government-issued photo ID, such as a driver’s license as proof of identity, along with proof of citizenship, such as a birth certificate or naturalization certificate, or a passport. Children age 18 and under will be able to enter with proof of citizenship. Verbal claims of citizenship and identity alone will not be sufficient to establish identity and citizenship for entry into the United States.

Note: Children age 18 and under will need to present a birth certificate, naturalization certificate or a passport to enter the U.S.”

Seesul's avatar

They keep moving the date up due to demand and processing time. It’s a good idea to get one and go through the processing phase of it (even if for future use). They are good for 10 years once you get them, and historically the price keeps going up. The processing time varies quite a bit with deadlines, demand for travel (vacations, holidays), etc.

They cost a LOT more when you have to put a rush on them and delays can happen for other reasons, so it’s better just to go ahead and apply for one if you have any hint of traveling to out of the country in the future.

it also gives you more time to get a decent photo, if you care about that sort of things

l2l2's avatar

its the same.if u go driven u would enojoy everythng u see..if u go on a plane u wont.

Answer this question




to answer.

This question is in the General Section. Responses must be helpful and on-topic.

Your answer will be saved while you login or join.

Have a question? Ask Fluther!

What do you know more about?
Knowledge Networking @ Fluther