General Question

Khajuria9's avatar

How to deal with acute hair-fall problem?

Asked by Khajuria9 (2129points) August 27th, 2014

Hey guys! Please help me sort the problem of daily hair-fall, that too, so severe. My hair is coming out right from the roots every single day. I am not able to figure out. Dermatologist is not able to define that. Can you list some effective natural remedies for this?

Observing members: 0 Composing members: 0

17 Answers

jca's avatar

Get your blood work done to see how your thyroid and vitamin levels are. High TSH or low vitamin levels can cause hair loss.

Khajuria9's avatar

Jca, my thyroid is normal. I think I need to check the vitamin levels though.

jca's avatar

@Khajuria9: What’s your TSH level? Sometimes people think it’s normal and it’s not.

jca's avatar

That’s good.

Khajuria9's avatar

I don’t know exactly. Now recently, the standards got changed and the normal zone was delimited at 0.3 to 3.0. Its really hard to define what level is within the safe zone.

ZEPHYRA's avatar

Iron levels okay?

Khajuria9's avatar

I haven’t measured the iron levels yet.

majorrich's avatar

I was losing hair by the handloads earlier this summer. My nutritionist put me on zinc supplements. I am down to a few strands a day now. YMMV. Of course I am not a doctor so I can’t know what is making you lose hair. The Doctor also told me “you are 53, expect to be losing a little hair”. :/

Khajuria9's avatar

majorrich, I am just 21 and a girl.

ZEPHYRA's avatar

So, try zinc, iron and magnesium supplements /and see what happens.

jca's avatar

First, go to the doctor and see what your numbers are.

JLeslie's avatar

4.3 is a little high. I start losing hair with that TSH. Did they check your T3 and T4 levels?

I would say check iron also, but on your CBC they should be able to deduce if your iron is low even of they did not directly test iron. If they did blood tests I can’t imagine they did not run a CBC, but you never know. Are your lips, tongue, and inside the lids of your eyes very pale?

I would see an endocrinologist. I would get more thyroid testing and let an endocrinologist interpret the tests, not a GP or an internist. Many labs still have up to 5.5 as normal for TSH, and that is very high. There have been arguments to change the parameters within the medical community, and endocrinologists would never let a patient hover that high, they would change the medication dose. Your thyroid could be bouncing around, so frequent testing might be worth doing over the next few months. Test at least once a month to see if your numbers are outside of “normal” at times.

It might be something else besides your thyroid, but 4.3 is a red flag in my opinion.

People swear by biotin for hair and nails, you could try taking some while you also see another doctor.

Adirondackwannabe's avatar

So the male members on my side of the family can just go on supplements and we’ll keep our hair?

JLeslie's avatar

I forgot to ask, is the hair falling out all over? Or, is it like a male pattern? how old are you and are you a man or a woman?

gailcalled's avatar

^^ I am just 21 and a girl.

JLeslie's avatar

Alighty then. Definitely an endocrinologist would be my next step. You might just need a little T3.

I’m not a doctor, just a thyroid sufferer.

If no luck then another dematologist.

Also, ask relatives if any other women in the family had significant hair loss in their twenties.

Answer this question




to answer.

This question is in the General Section. Responses must be helpful and on-topic.

Your answer will be saved while you login or join.

Have a question? Ask Fluther!

What do you know more about?
Knowledge Networking @ Fluther